Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding cullet, I've bought chunks without internal fractures upwards of 70lbs, albeit pieces from much larger batches.

In the interest of not giving up on my theory so easily, I found some excellent images of very similar huge Fused Quartz/Silica glass ingots:

high-purity-quartz-glass-ingot.jpg

21804458974_5c38f8ddbb_b.jpg

silica-quartz-glass-cutting-ingot.jpg

The properties of this type of glass support the production of bigazz ingots that would likely fracture if made of normal crap glass.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those do indeed look like this beach tossed example

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best lead I've seen, and the "color" seems essentially the same so it's worth having the beachcombers investigate the possibility.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Did you blow your glass out when lifting that heavy thing? Lol.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a cool find sure would like to know what that is i definitely would have brought that home , i agree with digger 460 how about a article we can read about. that is something i want to know about

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding cullet, I've bought chunks without internal fractures upwards of 70lbs, albeit pieces from much larger batches.

In the interest of not giving up on my theory so easily, I found some excellent images of very similar huge Fused Quartz/Silica glass ingots:

View attachment 1505696

View attachment 1505698

View attachment 1505699

The properties of this type of glass support the production of bigazz ingots that would likely fracture if made of normal crap glass.

OH that looks like its made to machine or something. A blank rather than cullet ? Looks like a great match too for the original post.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!-- That's awesome!! I have bought some pretty big chunks of glass at auction- industrial stuff, some w/ graph-like etching or molding on one side, most not. VERY heavy! I've never seen anything that big though- and what a bear to hoist from the shore! I think that alone would discourage most folks. Great that your friends retrieved it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread