got a mystery here

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a friend of mine has been following this on a beach glass site she is a member of. the poster says it weighs 200 lbs. and they had to drag it up an (ocean) cliff with a winch. it is cylindrical, is is glass, not slag, has a dimple on the top and yes, that is an apple for comparison.

any ideas as to what this is?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 149

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very cool thing. Was there a glass foundry nearby. Could be the end of a "melt" which was discarded.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
no foundry nearby, have no idea if it is a remnant.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accomplishment to anneal something that thick would be like over a month easy. Wtf is that?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any cracks running through it?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Any cracks running through it?

no cracks...lots of aparent beach/sand abrasion...one fellow who looked at it discribed it as purpose made and high quality.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being cracked I would say it was purposely made. A piece of glass that size would not survive being made without slowly cooling(annealing). So they wouldn't have gone through that trouble if it was cast off or end of a melt. The dimple is probably from when it was all hot during casting and as it shrank when it cools, it pulls that dimple into the forum. What it is for, I have no idea. As for all the wrinkled surface texture I'm not sure whats going on there, could be a few things. Could have been cast at a colder temp not quite smoothing the edges, could be texture from what ever mould was used, could be from shrinkage in the process.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
That may be cool to have all the edges polished out. Result may be a huge clear glass table or seat.
Cool find !!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nautical lens or window that would be subject to high pressure? Very cool find, for sure.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Nautical lens or window that would be subject to high pressure? Very cool find, for sure.

boy howdy...that would be some pretty fantastic high pressure....

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find, very interesting, is it natural or man made?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
man made for sure

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TPmetal, with the dimple/concavity and apparent cooling lines on the sides I doubt it was created for any other purpose but to be re-melted. My hunch is that it was a glass "ingot", probably a special blend of glass like a proprietary leaded crystal or other specialty glass that most manufacturers wouldn't have been able to make, cast into this crucible-friendly form and supplied to smaller-scale manufacturers of glassware or art glass. Being big and heavy and inconveniently sized for purposes aside from efficient shipping suggests it may be a European import.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TPmetal, with the dimple/concavity and apparent cooling lines on the sides I doubt it was created for any other purpose but to be re-melted. My hunch is that it was a glass "ingot", probably a special blend of glass like a proprietary leaded crystal or other specialty glass that most manufacturers wouldn't have been able to make, cast into this crucible-friendly form and supplied to smaller-scale manufacturers of glassware or art glass. Being big and heavy and inconveniently sized for purposes aside from efficient shipping suggests it may be a European import.

There no point in making a glass ingot as it will crack and break with out annealing. Glass is shipped in cullet, basically smashed up glass chunks or small clipped pieces from a furnace. To cost to anneal each ingot that large would make it pointless to do. There seems no reason to make it that big in one piece unless it had a use.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible lighthouse lens Check image below

30C04EF7-345F-421C-BA10-603064F3181A.jpeg

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
that idea was tossed around too....but such a lens doesn't need to be 200lbs or so thick.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with your words. You definitely have a mystery on your hands. Let us know if you find out more information.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that idea was tossed around too....but such a lens doesn't need to be 200lbs or so thick.

Unless from pre 1819? when the fresnel lens was implemented in light houses. Not sure what they looked like before the fresnel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread