How do you fix an old bottle with a small crack?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On of my favorite bottles has a small crack. Any way to fix it so you won't notice? I saw another post where it might be possible.
I have thought of taking it to a windshield fix it place. Or maybe heating it super slow in a kiln. But I have no idea. Thanks for any help. 1103171208-1.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It can be fixed with a resin that is very expensive and if I'n not mistaken it might require a vacuum pump attachment similar to the way they patch cracks in auto glass. There are very few bottles I'd imagine it would ever be worth trying it on, and I think an expert who works with the resin regularly would have to be found to do it...

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I've wondered for a long time about a gemological oil (wax?) that is used to fill micro-cracks in gem material (there IS such a material, really!) I've never followed up on the idea. Any gemologists on the forum?

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the posts! I'll check into the windshield resin and the gem wax. I worked in a rock shop and we used option fracture sealer but you have to heat it in an oven, which makes me a little nervous. I ran into this and it looked interesting. How To Mend A Cracked Bottle
I probably won't mess with it unless there is an easy fix. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions