White haze in glass.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, my wife wants to know how you guys and gals get the haze out of the inside of your bottles, she has been soaking them in bleach and got her some brushes but after they dry most have a haze in them. she would like them as clear as they will come, she says the detail and imperfections show up better. she says she sure would appreciate some of your ideas.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people will use mineral oil, or even things like lard or shortening, and rub it into the glass surface, and this sort of disguises the haze, but gives the bottle a matte kind of look to it. The nice thing is that you can usually remove this with some soap and water.

The other option is to take away the haze permanently by tumbling the bottle in a tumbler. You can probably order or build one yourself, or find someone who has one and ask/pay them to tumble it for you. Keep in mind that tumbling is irreversible.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've previously had some success using denture cleaning tablets and soaking. This was a tip passed onto me when i had my resale booth and it worked ok sometimes.

More recently I had better success using powdered oxiclean laundry detergent mixed with water, and the finest grade steel wool i had available (which id already worn down a bit more on gosh knows what). A bit more labor involved here though. And of course, before i tried the oxiclean Id had the bottles soaking in simple green and water for a day or two. I had just lightly rinsed that off after scrubbing away the dirt with a bottle brush, then refilled my wash tub and added the oxiclean and let that soak.... So really I'm not real sure what the key ingredient was. But i suspect the oxi and wool.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

NJKLAGT has offered the two options to improve the look of 'sick' glass bottles. (Sick because the glass surface is decomposing.) You can mask the sick surface with mineral oil (don't use something organic like lard which will decompose). Or, you can tumble the bottle with an abrasive/polishing compound. Search the Internet for details on bottle tumbling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread