Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got in the mangroves after the hurricane to hunt bottles. Wow.... its a lot different now. The hurricane blasted the island apart !! After flipping hundreds of bottles I came away with 1 keeper. photo-718.JPG and 1 cryer photo-717.JPG
photo-716.JPG although the gin is broke it will display good with another thats broken exactly in the same place !
photo-721.JPG no visable seam on the cylinder bottle. Not sure on the age, shes peeling like an onion bottle !! Lots of rainbow and gold hues of patina !! Never seen so many seed bubbles as are in the gin ! First spot in the bottle season. Nice cool weather and a pretty good start. We got a lot of other good stuff that ill post tomorrow. photo-722.JPG

Attachments

• photo-716.JPG
    photo-716.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and what a shamer on the gin. So many case gins out there, but that one would've been special.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure of age on the squat cylinder or is it a mallet type bottle ?? Im thinking that it might be as old as the 1790s. What do you guys think ?? What ever the case im going back today for another look around. Its my new favorite bottle !!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure of age on the squat cylinder or is it a mallet type bottle ?? Im thinking that it might be as old as the 1790s. What do you guys think ?? What ever the case im going back today for another look around. Its my new favorite bottle !!

Im not sure that its quite that old with the style lip it has. But I'm not expert.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duuuude, awesome finds! Did you dive for these or just spot them from the boat? My heart would have beat right out of my chest. Unreal.

That cylinder is definitely early, way earlier than the gin. I'd say your guess is pretty darn close. Harry Pristis or epackage should know for sure!

Congratulations, and show us what else you found as soon as you can!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Sorry about the gin, that’s the breaks I guess. That cylinder is definitely early. I’m with Harry, early to mid 1800’s.
So what were some of the others that you found?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-736.JPG
photo-735.JPG photo-734.JPG
Hey thanks everybody !! Its a great bottle. Heres a couple more shots. Its a little shorter in the neck than harrys one and dosent have any seams, but other than that it looks real close. Got some keepers today and some criers. also got a note in a bottle and a glass fishing float. photo-727.JPG
photo-725.JPG the crier was an original budwieser !! It kills me that this one was broken !! photo-730.JPG
photo-729.JPG photo-728.JPG oh well next time !! Did get a " mexican mustang lineament, lyon mfg co new york" photo-733.JPG photo-732.JPG photo-731.JPG photo-723.JPG there was plenty of other stuff too, hawser ropes, bouys, seabeans, shells etc etc. Ill post some of that stuff in the morning. Still got to open the note too !! Christmas presents from hurricane irma !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gin reads "markun & co " with a small symbol like a small u in front.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I'm thinking that it might be as old as the 1790s...

I think you're correct that it's right there at 1790-1800. The Bud sure would've hit the spot. What a shame. I guess considering these bottles went through a hurricane, it's a miracle that any survived!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The note is unreadable. I actually found 2 bottles with notes in them, both were to old to read. Hey sandchip imagine all the hurricanes these bottles have been through !! Laying around since the 1800s !! Mut have been many hurricanes. I think this last hurricane stripped about 2-3feet of sand off the beach, and this baby finally saw some daylight after many years under the sand. My neighbor has fallen in love with the cylinder bottle !! He wants to buy it for 200$. not sure if I can sell it though. Got to go find some more first. Still bumed about the budwiser !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fishing float has an error in the embossing. It reads 9cm, and then its been embossed with 10cm too. ill have to measure it and see what the actual size is. First time ive seen that on a fishing float.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duuuude, awesome finds! Did you dive for these or just spot them from the boat? My heart would have beat right out of my chest. Unreal.

That cylinder is definitely early, way earlier than the gin. I'd say your guess is pretty darn close. Harry Pristis or epackage should know for sure!

Congratulations, and show us what else you found as soon as you can!

These were all found while beach combing. I was very fearful I would break it on the way home. Luckily the seas were calm and the ride home was smooth. I still get a little excited when I handle it. I have a feeling that this is just the tip of the bottle iceberg !! Everything is still setteling from the hurricane. Incredible amounts of debri on the island.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were all found while beach combing. I was very fearful I would break it on the way home. Luckily the seas were calm and the ride home was smooth. I still get a little excited when I handle it. I have a feeling that this is just the tip of the bottle iceberg !! Everything is still setteling from the hurricane. Incredible amounts of debri on the island.

Wow, you hardly even had to get your feet wet. Just walking along the beach. That is amazing! Make sure to get out there as often as you can, and keep a sharp eye. Is there a lot of competition, a lot of people with the same idea?

Anyway, the bottle is such a beauty. Everything else, too. I'm surprised you didn't mention that ovoid vase thing. What's that all about?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

If you find evidence that the cylinder was blown in a 3-piece mold, the bottle is likely to date after 1811. Such evidence includes vertical shoulder seams stopping at a horizontal shoulder seam and a basal flat rim (with or without embossing). Images of pre-1811 base and a 3-piece mold base.

For comparison:

bottle_lips_1700s.JPG bottle_lips_1800.1820.JPG bottle_3mold_linedrawing.JPG black_glassgall_base.JPG blackASinclairbase.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you hardly even had to get your feet wet. Just walking along the beach. That is amazing! Make sure to get out there as often as you can, and keep a sharp eye. Is there a lot of competition, a lot of people with the same idea?

Anyway, the bottle is such a beauty. Everything else, too. I'm surprised you didn't mention that ovoid vase thing. What's that all about?
Well its not really that easy. The so called beach is no more than a burm of sand up in the mangrove forest. It is very dangerous climbing through the mangrove roots. There was a pile of debri in the swamp 6 feet high the whole length of the island. Broken glass, rusty nails, broken boards, tangled masses of rope and lobster bouys, toxic chemical spills, downed trees from the hurricane, and a new hazard for me this time was quick sand. Found several patches this last trip. There are rattle snakes and coral snakes, crocodiles, black widows, brown recluse, and golden orb spiders, fever ants, and centipedes, and dont forget the blood draining clouds of mosquitos to name a few of the critters out there. I was forced into the ocean once by 10-15 very aggressive racoons. Only reason I hadnt been in was the lack of a good partner. I dont want to be stripped to the bone by racoons while I try to crawl out of the mangroves with a broken leg. Have to have a partner for these remote mangrove spots. Ill where the go pro next time to give you guys an idea of what its like back there. Its a crazy world back in those deep dark mangrove swamps !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you find evidence that the cylinder was blown in a 3-piece mold, the bottle is likely to date after 1811. Such evidence includes vertical shoulder seams stopping at a horizontal shoulder seam and a basal flat rim (with or without embossing). Images of pre-1811 base and a 3-piece mold base.

For comparison:

View attachment 1526783 View attachment 1526784 View attachment 1526788 View attachment 1526789 View attachment 1526790

Thanks for the help harry. Your illustrations are awsome and very helpful !! Looks like the bottom is more like the top pic. No seams and a pre 1811 base !! Just wanted to let everyone know how much ive appreciated everyones help over the last couple years. This forum is one of the most helpful and polite forums on treasurenet. Lots of great comments and help and no drama over here. Thanks again guys !!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its not really that easy. The so called beach is no more than a burm of sand up in the mangrove forest. It is very dangerous climbing through the mangrove roots. There was a pile of debri in the swamp 6 feet high the whole length of the island. Broken glass, rusty nails, broken boards, tangled masses of rope and lobster bouys, toxic chemical spills, downed trees from the hurricane, and a new hazard for me this time was quick sand. Found several patches this last trip. There are rattle snakes and coral snakes, crocodiles, black widows, brown recluse, and golden orb spiders, fever ants, and centipedes, and dont forget the blood draining clouds of mosquitos to name a few of the critters out there. I was forced into the ocean once by 10-15 very aggressive racoons. Only reason I hadnt been in was the lack of a good partner. I dont want to be stripped to the bone by racoons while I try to crawl out of the mangroves with a broken leg. Have to have a partner for these remote mangrove spots. Ill where the go pro next time to give you guys an idea of what its like back there. Its a crazy world back in those deep dark mangrove swamps !!

Hah! And here I was picturing you strolling down the beach at a five-star resort, a drink with a straw in hand, beautiful pontiled cylinders all over the place. I guess the snow does that to us, makes us think you guys have it easy. But I'll take winter half the year over these orb spiders and whatever any day! That'd be awesome to see some footage of one of your hunts. All you warm people have a duty to keep us snowmen entertained throughout the coming months!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wierd how it works, your posting about your last dig, and its just getting cool enough for me to get started in the mangroves. The summer was brutal in there and I only went 2-4 times all summer. To hot and the mosquitoes would make you look like a rasin at the end of the day. I must say your vision of fruity drinks and sand beaches with bottles is very nice !! If you ever find that spot let me know !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread