rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was fast if thats it its the oldest one I have found yet out there. Mine is broken though, darn

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find neighbor!! And great ID VPNavy!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the ebayer is mistaken in his ID. Desktop inks normally have larger mouth openings for easy dipping of a pen or quill. They also tend to have broader bases to prevent tip overs and spills. I stick with it being a candy container or as another member said, a perfume.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find. Noticing the differences between what you have a the one in eBay leads me to be suspicious of the one on eBay as it may be a modern remake, but I could be wrong. If my suspicions are correct that would make your bottle a much more desirable peice in my opinion. Even with the condition issues.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Generally most privy diggers that find these types of bottles usually locate cone inks or the like. I would tend to believe that it is in fact an ink of sorts. Even with the small opening. Although I have read that these were filled with perfumery. I doubt that a shoe or boot would be filled with perfume. Makes no sense. I tend to believe it’s an ink/ boot polish. Just my thoughts. Cool find but not particularly rare or worth a ton. I have yet to find s whole one. Nice find in any case. Jgas.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone. Im sure I will be back for more help in the future of more finds. The creek I find the old bottles in I call "Bottle Creek" as you can see why. Most of them are broken but every once in a while I get lucky.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wright but I dont click on those types of links.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what the link says:

Shoe Shaped Inks

Old Ink Bottle Companies & Their History
Shoe shaped ink bottles come in a variety of types. Most shoe inks are French but so might be American. Bottle collectors have had a hard time deciding if these shoe shaped bottles are really inks or perfume bottles. Little is known about the history of these figural shoes bottles although a few have been found with labels. .

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's unique. Good find.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Rock, Nice find. I have dug a couple of those intact from privies in the Baltimore area, and there are several variations to be had. I consider them perfume bottles, with candy also being a possibility. I think there is very little chance they could contain ink, as they would spill half their load just pulling the cork and setting it on a table. Table ink bottles have long been designed to be much more stable and spill resistant. HH

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Define "those types" of links. You have something against DIGGER ODELL BOTTLE PRICE GUIDES ?

Just right click and inspect the darn link before you click it if you're worried about it. No big deal. Geesh.

Nice bottle by the way, even with the damage.
Thanks I didnt know you could do the right click thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread