Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with two inches of ice on the ground it's utterly impossible to do any digging here in southern New England . So I have to find other ways to fight off cabin fever. So I have started to go through buckets of shards I have dug over the past couple years to see if I can piece anything together. So far I have reconstructed three bottles. the first bottle is a Dr a.s Hopkins union stomach bitters bottle. Which is a local Hartford bottle and was most likely blown at the New London glass co. The second bottle is a early utility blackening bottle which is most likely blown at the Coventry glass works. The third bottle would be a true gem if it was complete.a willington glass co west willington Conn eagle flask. Finding one of these bottles complete would be one of my holy Grails. The bottles are far from perfect but reconstructing them is almost as fun as digging lol. Thanks for looking and enjoy. - Justin

Attachments

• 1518527372276.jpg
    1518527372276.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1518527388013.jpg
    1518527388013.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 1518527530341.jpg
    1518527530341.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1518527547859.jpg
    1518527547859.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice. do you just use glue to construct them back together again or some thing else

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job, they really look good. Like you, I'm about to go nuts waiting on a decent weekend. It has rained more than I have ever seen this winter here. luckily we don't have the snow you have to deal with up there. Looks like maybe a decent day coming on Saturday here, CAN"T WAIT!!!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, 'Dude! I've always loved repairs like this, where you can just let your imagination fill in the blanks.

SPRING WILL COME. We must be patient...

*cries inside*

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I here ya, RelicDude. We went from frozen to mud after all of that rain recently. It's supposed to warm up for a bit, but we both know that Ol' man winter isn't done with us yet. Keep putting those humpty dumptys back together again in the meantime. I'll just keep reading TNet and living vicariously through others in warmer climates. :laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with two inches of ice on the ground it's utterly impossible to do any digging here in southern New England . So I have to find other ways to fight off cabin fever. So I have started to go through buckets of shards I have dug over the past couple years to see if I can piece anything together. So far I have reconstructed three bottles. the first bottle is a Dr a.s Hopkins union stomach bitters bottle. Which is a local Hartford bottle and was most likely blown at the New London glass co. The second bottle is a early utility blackening bottle which is most likely blown at the Coventry glass works. The third bottle would be a true gem if it was complete.a willington glass co west willington Conn eagle flask. Finding one of these bottles complete would be one of my holy Grails. The bottles are far from perfect but reconstructing them is almost as fun as digging lol. Thanks for looking and enjoy. - Justin

Awesome, you should try and contact corning museum of glass. They have a guy there who does the glass repair, I think his name is Steve Cooper or Cooperman? But anyways he even casts replacement pieces out of hextal for the missing stuff. Truly amazing what he does and you could learn some great stuff from him if he is receptive. He is the absolute best is the buisness for this type of thing, has worked on glass thats thousands of years old!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Something about the reconstruction of glass. Just screams Art! It is amazing what lengths we go to to hold together pieces of history. Awesome criers. I’m thinking I got look in my box of dreams and get the glue out. Jgas

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about the reconstruction of glass. Just screams Art! It is amazing what lengths we go to to hold together pieces of history. Awesome criers. I’m thinking I got look in my box of dreams and get the glue out. Jgas

The most archival is hextal, next is uv glue clear locktite 341 i think is the number. The uv glue is easiest to use, but slightly less archival. the hextal is a 24 hour cure and harder to set up a glue joint; but can be ground and polished as well as used with a tint to cast missing pieces.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice. do you just use glue to construct them back together again or some thing else

Thank you. I'm using a 3m glass adhesive to piece these bottles together. The adhesive is much stronger then super glue which typically falls apart eventually.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
okay thank you

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm using a 3m glass adhesive to piece these bottles together. The adhesive is much stronger then super glue which typically falls apart eventually.

Check out locktite 341 and a uv light.... you will love it. amazing stuff. the joint is stronger than the glass itself and with a uv light it sets up very quickly. then you just stick it in the sun to finish curing. much more archival than what you are using. Your glue in about 10 years will start to yellow and degrade, especially when exposed to sunlight

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, you should try and contact corning museum of glass. They have a guy there who does the glass repair, I think his name is Steve Cooper or Cooperman? But anyways he even casts replacement pieces out of hextal for the missing stuff. Truly amazing what he does and you could learn some great stuff from him if he is receptive. He is the absolute best is the buisness for this type of thing, has worked on glass thats thousands of years old!

That is extremely interesting. I always wondered how people would restore old bottles.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when you dug that broken eagle flask. What a cryer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread