Three Nice Creek Finds, Need A Little Help With ID Please

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found another snuff bottle to add to my quickly growing collection. Wherever these Snuffs are coming from, whoever lived there suuuure liked their snuff! :laughing1:

Found an old crockery cup, in PERFECT condition. Interestingly, it holds 4 oz, while my modern set holds 14 oz.
I found it buried in deep sand, & thought it was a broken piece of a bowl or plate as I could see two areas of it sticking out of the sand as I sat on a fallen tree trunk for a rest & a smoke. Didn't expect it to be anything special, and kinda made a mental note to get it before I moved on.
When I finally picked it up, I was flabbergasted. I love it. :love5:

What I'd appreciate input on is the Medicine Bottle.
It was upside down in sand when I found it. There was fluid in it, which I assumed was water. Later, after the Hunt, I was shocked that the cap came off easily. I smelled the fluid to see if it was medicinal and OMG...talk about foul!! Poured it out & it was PINK! So there was some medicine in it, mixed with the water that seeped in.

The metal lid has "Roerig" in raised letters, with an Rx notation on the "R."
Any idea how old it is or what it may have contained?

As a bonus, I'm now the proud owner of a cocoon - still clinging to the wee branch it's attached to.
The little critter used leaves to make it. Nice, eh? If you know what it may have been that metamorphosed in it, please share.

Having a LOT of trouble uploading pics, hope they come thru. The one of the med bottle w/ruler wont load.??? :icon_scratch:
It's 4" tall.

creek cup bottles.jpg

Cocoon2.jpg

creek cup bottles3.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know about bottles, but your "cocoon" is most likely a
wasp or hornets nest that is no longer in use.

Good thing nobody was home when you grabbed it...:laughing7:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
never ever smell liquid in a old glass bottle you never know what it is

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never ever smell liquid in a old glass bottle you never know what it is

Very wise and possibly lifesaving advice there, Gold Boy.

The Roerig bottle looks to date from the 1920s up to 1953 when it was acquired by Pfizer.

OP
OP
D

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, sandchip & everyone!
I'd guess 50s then, or late 40s, based on the lid. I stress the word "GUESS!"

@DizzyDigger, I've never seen wasps or hornets in this area use a cocoon. I have several large wasp nests I've saved, 1 hornet's nest.
This lil cocoon is only 2" tall. I'll have to google it when I get a chance, if I find anything I'll check back.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't smell stuff, ever. That should almost be rule number one. I cheated death the one time. I was gonna smell a "Black Leaf 40" bottle - perfect whiskey name, right? But luckily I set it aside and continued on digging. Got home and found out that it was a concentrated nicotine pesticide, half full. Would have died right there. And I've been lightheaded smelling bottles before, when I was just starting out. It's just never a good idea. So, like Goldie said, you never know. Curiosity kills the cat.

OP
OP
D

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first & last time...once was enough.
I've smelled gangrene that wasn't that bad...seriously. :icon_pale:

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guess either an old bottle of "Bismuth subsalicylate" but normally it smells great to me or "amoxicillin".

Last edited:

Greeneman215

Aug 4, 2012
Central NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! I had a medicinal bottle that stunk up my entire basement, had to toss it out. I think the cocoon probably belonged to a Moth of some sort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread