Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

So the weather's been grrreaaat here. We're all thawed out now. I've been out looking for some new spots. On the one hike I found a neat ol' maple syrup shack or something - there was a bottle sticking out at the bottom of one of the boards, but it was a junker, still cool to see though. And then I found a small dump with some good shards: the base of a blown half gal English pickle, bases of early ABM fruit jars, etc. I just have to clear out a lot of debris and wait 'til it's not so wet. I walked along the creek near there, and spotted a busted Brookfield insulator as well, fished it out with a stick but didn't keep it. There was some nice turn-moulded pieces and things as well, but I couldn't locate the source - I hope to go creek walking there when it's warmer out.

I also got out to the sketchy downtown creek area, because the water's been super high along the watershed here and I was hoping to eyeball something washed out of the banks. It was sketchy this time. I first ran into this Gord guy and his dog Jack, and we were talking about the flooding and this and that for a little while. Nice guy, nice dog. Gord saved my bike. I put my bike maybe only 20 feet away while I went down to the creek, without any tools, just looking around. And Gord is now on the other side of the creek with his dog Jack, and he suddenly says, "hey kid, isn't that your bike?". I'm like "yep", and this other guy is riding away on my bike! I gave a loud but non-aggressive "HEY", and the guy kind of skids to a stop and gets off and starts walking away. I get up there and he's like, "sorry bud, I just saw the bike there and thought -" and I was like "man, don't worry about it, I probably would have done the same thing (not really, but I didn't want to escalate things), but I only wish you had left my water bottle behind!" and we chuckled and it was awkward but I didn't get stabbed, so that's good. I walked around a bit there, found some ABM sauces and things in the banks, didn't take anything home, but found a 10 dollar bill stuck in some twigs which was cool. I also found my first hole that wasn't dug by me, so it was interesting to inspect another bottle digger's hole for once and see what he/she was finding. There were actually some decent shards in there, and it gave me a general idea of where more might be.

And then yesterday I got out for some metal detecting at a spot that I've never tried, by the side of a road that's been changed at some point in its history. It originally veered to the west and went southwest, but now goes pretty much south. It's all pine trees now, but I think it was a farm field or pasture at one point. There was a house around there, according to an old map, but I couldn't locate any substantial evidence of it. But I did find some iron bits, some fragments of bells, and I did find my first (and second) Indians! The first was a dirty ol' 1906, the signal was messed. And then the second one, I was just swinging my detector to the side to set it down and have a little break, got a good tone, dug it not thinking anything of it, and BAM, my oldest coin yet! The Civil War was still ongoing, and Lincoln was still alive. Only worth a penny even now, but I thought it was a cool little piece of history anyway. What was most surprising was that the two coins I found were American. I wonder if our mintage wasn't so hot at the time, I'm not sure though. Anyway, I also found a sterling silver pen, or half of it anyway.

So, those are my few adventures over the last week. You've all been finding some great stuff. Keep 'em coming! It's gonna be a good year.

NJ

DSCF2849.JPG DSCF2859.JPG DSCF2835.JPG DSCF2842.JPG DSCF2755.JPG DSCF2764.JPG DSCF2772.JPG DSCF2868.JPG DSCF2880.JPG DSCF2899.JPG DSCF2904.JPG DSCF2887.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should definitely find more eroding out of that bank.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice Injun! I’d most definitely be scouring those banks more for sure. Be careful out there. That water is dangerous some times. And those bums don’t care who you are. Rob ya real quick like. Jgas.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dudes! I've found some neat stuff in that creek before, so I'll definitely return. I might make a dry hole like the other mystery digger did, but it's out in the open and I don't want to draw too much attention.

This was some of the stuff I got last time I was there, deeper down, pretty much below the waterline. 1910-ish was as early as I got, but that's good enough for me!

DSCF9437c.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful out there. Yep, I would definitely go back to where you found the 1864 penny. Nice find by the way

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread