Outhouses on Sanborn maps?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Goldenplug
  • 2 Post By kingskid1611
  • 4 Post By jgas
  • 2 Post By Maitland
  • 1 Post By epackage
  • 3 Post By jgas
  • 1 Post By Bass

Thread: Outhouses on Sanborn maps?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    159 times
    Prospecting

Arrow Outhouses on Sanborn maps?

This might be a dumb question, but are outhouses sometimes labeled on Sanborn fire insurance maps? I came across a few maps (see attached) from 1903 and 1915 that show my house (labeled with a "D" for dwelling) as well as a structure of some sort off to the west on my property. I think the initial structure is too big to be an outhouse, but in the second map it appears to be added onto and I'm guessing perhaps this could have been an outhouse? I don't believe it is a poultry coop because those are usually labeled as such, and it wouldn't be a garage because of it's location. Curious for additional opinions on what this structure may have been? There are no foundations or evidence to the blind eye that suggest there was ever anything thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mh1903.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	1559082  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Goldenplug

Jul 2014
    Upstate, ny
    Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
    1077 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Only one way to find out
    Maitland and PikesPeakCharlie like this.
    "Any material thing you want is merely a symbol; you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment." Mark Twain

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    6205 times
    Go probe that ground...
    Maitland and PikesPeakCharlie like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us

Mar 2010
    159 times
    Prospecting
    We've got snow on the ground right now (and I've got a bad case of "cabin fever"), otherwise I'm sure I'd be out there!

us
    Apr 2008
    Midwesterner
    DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
    2202 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The structures with the X is a stables building for horses. They sometimes got added onto for a feeding area and such. The newer the picture it was then turned into a garage or shed with no X on the building. In my experience the outhouses were generally not marked on the Sanborns. Although I have hit a few with the very small box area depicted on the maps. Coincidence? Maybe. In general though the areas listed on the Sanborn maps were for insurance purposes in case of fire. These buildings usually have a constant source of power/ heat/ lamps etc. Thus the fire insurance maps were made. The outhouses in general did not have a source of fire as a constant. With that said you will find lamp parts and glass all the time in privies. I do gravitate towards those building a lot because if you were working in the stables/ garages then the quickest toilet is right outside the door. Poke around there and see. My guess would be your privy on that map is straight out the back door on the property edge. Good luck. Jgas.

us

Mar 2010
    159 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you for your input, jgas! It is always helpful to get some interpretation on these Sanborn maps. I've only been using them for about a year and sometimes I have trouble matching up what is on the maps to the map legends available online. I ordered a "privy probe" last night, so hopefully when the snow is gone here I can start trying to locate the original outhouse location(s).

us
    Jim

Sep 2010
    Hewitt N.J.
    Whites Silver Eagle
    2118 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles
    Really depends on the area for the Sanborn maps, many cities did have a 1X for outhouses, while towns often had the 1X for a stable as JGAS said. Many areas in more populated cities didn't always have direct access to the backyard because houses were often built side by side, so there was no way for that 1X to be for a stable unless you were willing to walk your house thru your house and out into the street
    Goldenplug likes this.
    PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

us
    Apr 2008
    Midwesterner
    DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
    2202 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good point E! Although we’re there midget ponies as pets back then? Lol. Jgas
    JGAS

us
    Jim

Sep 2010
    Hewitt N.J.
    Whites Silver Eagle
    2118 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles
    Quote Originally Posted by jgas View Post
    Good point E! Although we’re there midget ponies as pets back then? Lol. Jgas
    LOL
    PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    5330 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The only outhouses that I've even seen shown on a Sanborn map were in Augusta Georgia. I assume that they were there because of being brick lined and had some value. - I'm not sure if that is correct or not though.

Jan 2013
    1788 times
    In my local town they were marked as x also.
    epackage likes this.

Sponsored Links