Outhouses on Sanborn maps?

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This might be a dumb question, but are outhouses sometimes labeled on Sanborn fire insurance maps? I came across a few maps (see attached) from 1903 and 1915 that show my house (labeled with a "D" for dwelling) as well as a structure of some sort off to the west on my property. I think the initial structure is too big to be an outhouse, but in the second map it appears to be added onto and I'm guessing perhaps this could have been an outhouse? I don't believe it is a poultry coop because those are usually labeled as such, and it wouldn't be a garage because of it's location. Curious for additional opinions on what this structure may have been? There are no foundations or evidence to the blind eye that suggest there was ever anything thing.

Attachments

• mh1903.JPG
    mh1903.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 538
  • mh1915.JPG
    mh1915.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,497

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've got snow on the ground right now (and I've got a bad case of "cabin fever"), otherwise I'm sure I'd be out there! :unhappysmiley:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
The structures with the X is a stables building for horses. They sometimes got added onto for a feeding area and such. The newer the picture it was then turned into a garage or shed with no X on the building. In my experience the outhouses were generally not marked on the Sanborns. Although I have hit a few with the very small box area depicted on the maps. Coincidence? Maybe. In general though the areas listed on the Sanborn maps were for insurance purposes in case of fire. These buildings usually have a constant source of power/ heat/ lamps etc. Thus the fire insurance maps were made. The outhouses in general did not have a source of fire as a constant. With that said you will find lamp parts and glass all the time in privies. I do gravitate towards those building a lot because if you were working in the stables/ garages then the quickest toilet is right outside the door. Poke around there and see. My guess would be your privy on that map is straight out the back door on the property edge. Good luck. Jgas.

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for your input, jgas! It is always helpful to get some interpretation on these Sanborn maps. I've only been using them for about a year and sometimes I have trouble matching up what is on the maps to the map legends available online. I ordered a "privy probe" last night, so hopefully when the snow is gone here I can start trying to locate the original outhouse location(s).

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Really depends on the area for the Sanborn maps, many cities did have a 1X for outhouses, while towns often had the 1X for a stable as JGAS said. Many areas in more populated cities didn't always have direct access to the backyard because houses were often built side by side, so there was no way for that 1X to be for a stable unless you were willing to walk your house thru your house and out into the street ;)

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Good point E! Although we’re there midget ponies as pets back then? Lol. Jgas

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only outhouses that I've even seen shown on a Sanborn map were in Augusta Georgia. I assume that they were there because of being brick lined and had some value. - I'm not sure if that is correct or not though.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my local town they were marked as x also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread