Antique bottles with reproduction labels.

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1521333913620.jpeg 1521333935988.jpeg 1521333960151.jpeg 1521334098684.jpeg
I had some extra bottles that was I considering getting rid of because they are common and have no writing on them. Two of theses bottles are pre-prohibition ABM beer bottles, one is a pre-prohibition ABM flask and one is a 1920s flavoring extract. I had some extra label making paper and decided to find pictures of old bottle labels online and make reproduction labels. I attached some pictures below and The labels came out awesome. (I know that some of these labels may not exactly fit the same time period with these bottles but I still think its cool.)
I am sharing this because it is an easy way to make somewhat common antique bottles more unique and interesting. They make great display pieces and are easy for anyone to make.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent idea I'm glad I thought of this....:laughing7:

I have been using existing labels that just look old from some bottles and transferring them to some oldie bottles.
Some of those labels though just did not want to come off.
I like your idea better.

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The idea is a good one, but it poses a dilemma down the line, because there may come a time when you get rid of them and the new owner thinks they are real labels, or worse yet knows they are repros and tries to pass them off as real for good money. Since there are some extremely rare labeled bottles to be had out there people are already doing this same thing and knowingly selling bottles just like this on Ebay to unsuspecting buyers.

On the clear and aqua bottles it's an easy thing to avoid by writing that the labels are repros on the back in pencil, that way nobody can mistake them for the real deal. The real problem lies when you do it and apply the labels to green or amber bottles and any writing like that can't be seen thru the darker glass. I have no doubt your intentions are to just use them for display, but there are is a small group of total dirtbags on Ebay that do this knowing full well what they are selling is unethical and just plain wrong.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, I know you'll enjoy them, the only reason I even chimed in is because I have applied new old stock labels to period correct bottles for displays of my own, and I even struggle with that. But I take some solace in knowing the labels are real and just never got applied to bottles in the first place, and that I made sure they were applied to the correct bottles. In this group of 1/2 gallon M. Singer bottles I have only 1 set of labels came on the bottle originally, I was lucky enough to acquire NOS labels thru many years of searching, and then I made sure to apply them to them style bottles they would have been on in the time they were in business...

$1a11111111111111111111 (2).jpg
$1a1111111111111111111a.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Can I ask what you mean by the term "label making paper?", I've never heard that before...

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I ask what you mean by the term "label making paper?", I've never heard that before...
I totally get what youre saying about people trying to sell these and pass them off as real, and I agree with what u said above.
I posted this as an idea for real collectors to make their collection better, not for scam artists to profit off of.
The label making paper is just blank printer paper with a peel off adhesive on the back.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally get what youre saying about people trying to sell these and pass them off as real, and I agree with what u said above.
I posted this as an idea for real collectors to make their collection better, not for scam artists to profit off of.
The label making paper is just blank printer paper with a peel off adhesive on the back.
Thanks, I was unaware such paper existed, I use car headliner spray on glue for my labels...

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same thing . it's just to give out to family and friends.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would make a cool gift to a friend or family member if you could alter the label and place their name on it. I know that I've got a couple of friends that I would love to gift a laxative bottle to with their name on it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread