🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. I want to expand on metal detecting and do some privy digs. I've been trying to find someone who sells privy probes; the good spring steel ones. Any suggestions? I'm in Canada but have a US shipping address. Thanks for your help!

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in late model American cars had a spring steel rod running at the back of the trunk lid , makes great probes , just weld on a pipe handle.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect! I'll ask around the junk yards. Thank you!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of 1970s Chrysler product cars have great spring steel hood springs. If you can, thread the end and mount it through the handle or weld a strap over the handle to the rod to keep it from breaking at the handle and spearing you through the chest. I heard of a local Indian relic hunter that was killed by his probe many years ago.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info and very good advice. I've read that it's best to put the end of the shaft through a hole drilled in the bottom of a steel tube, then welded. There's no way it can impale you that way. And of course never put your weight above the handle, just in case. I'm looking for a 5' piece. I think they were over that length in the trunk. Would the hood spring be that long?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you are very tall, a 5 foot probe might be hard to handle. I have never used a probe for bottles but located over 50 trash pits and several burials in Indian camps. I dug the trash pits and not the burials. My probe is 4 feet. I also welded a lug nut on the bottom of the probe and then ground it down to a slightly tapered bottom with more tapered upper to the shaft. The nut on the bottom makes it easier to probe by making your only friction point at the bottom instead of the whole length of the shaft.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Schlatters Inc. in Francesville Indiana. Look em up in line. Very reasonable priced. Fat handles. And replacement tips. If you don’t have a welder to make new tips. I tried to reply back to your subscription to the YouTube channel. Couldn’t seem to get it. But yep. Look into Schlatters. Good people there. Jgas.

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, I remember seeing a video Aquachigger did about those. Be careful! Don't wanna gut yourself with it, haha.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they changed the name

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread