WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone. I dug and walked in my creek Sunday. I just thought I would share what I found.

creek 1.JPG

creek 5.JPG

creek 6.JPG It reads, "LYON JAR PATENT ALLOWED"

I thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks for looking!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that glass jar lid is pretty cool i have only found half of one

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I hope you find a whole one. I didn't know that they had any value, but I'm finding out they have a little.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig, unusual jar lid looks more like an ashtray, never seen one like that before.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 8 different types of glass lids .And a total of 16 .Most are marked ATLAS EDJ SEAL .One is blue .One is marked Ball NO.10 One is smaller than the rest .They where used by people that canned fruits and vegetables . Atlas and Ball are the two main types in this area .I also have a few sizes and colors of the Ball and Atlas canning jars If you found a lid than there is a good chance the jars are there also

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
#1598 in The Red Book. $12-$15. Cool lid. Jgas.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing and the info. I would have been stumped had I found one.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice dig, unusual jar lid looks more like an ashtray, never seen one like that before.

Could be an ashtray for advertising from the jar company. Just a guess, thanks for posting

That was my first thought, too. I used to smoke. This would be worthless as an ashtray. It is too small and the middle is higher than the edges, so the cigarette wouldn't rest in it. And the ashes would over flow before the cig was done being smoked.

I was kind of thinking it was the inner part to a canning lid, there would have been a seal and the outer metal ring. But the four notches make me think it would have been on a jar that had metal to hold the lid down.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think it could be a castor like folks used to put under bed post and such to keep from maring the floor. The high center would make it too unstable. The notches are a puzzler too. Hmmm...

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't think it could be a castor like folks used to put under bed post and such to keep from maring the floor. The high center would make it too unstable. The notches are a puzzler too. Hmmm...

I'm thinking I need to watch out for the yoke clamp that goes with it. Here is a pic of something similar. I still haven't found an exact match online.

puritan.png

Here it is cleaned up and with a ruler.

View attachment DSCN1296.JPG View attachment DSCN1297.JPG

There are a couple of jelly jar/bottle shows coming up in Indiana. I hope to make one of them. Maybe I can get more info. And maybe I'll be able to buy a book.

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, nice find, I THINK if im not mistaking that's a fruit jar cover possible mason replacement lid... Nice addition.. great shape..several opportunities there..

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, nice find, I THINK if im not mistaking that's a fruit jar cover possible mason replacement lid... Nice addition.. great shape..several opportunities there..

Welcome to Treasurenet, s2ndjetli.

I am not sure myself. I was thinking the same. I found something similar on ebay that just happens to have a photo of the description for #1598 that jgas said in the post above. It says "Product." I am not very knowledgeable about this area (or any other for that matter). There's a couple bottle shows coming up in Indiana. I am going to try to get to one and see if I can learn a little more.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Virginia Slims..Mistys...Capris in the eighties...good ashtray for those if they still made them...lol

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
There ya go. No actual picture of yours. But it does exist of course. Cool find. Jgas.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you JGAS. I am going to get one of those books.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That glass inner glass liner is neat. I have only found a ton of the white ones. How cool is that? Thanks for informing me about that relic. Congrats :thumbsup:

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A natural creek or a farm ditch? I know where I'm at in Indiana and a huge chunk of Ohio, it used to be part of what they called the Great Black Swamp. Then, in starting around the 1850s they started digging these massive ditches across the landscape to drain the land for agricultural use. I've been thinking about getting a pair of waders and wandering around in a local one myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions