glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have what I think is a Bixby ink well .Can anyone help with info concerning age ? On the front is Patented MCH6 83 and I included a pic of the bottom. Thanks View attachment 010.jpg 003.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, although I believe they contained shoe polish.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]Samuel Marrill Bixby owned a shoe store in New York City and also made shoe polish. In 1865 he sold the store and concentrated on what was then called "shoe blacking."
After forming S.M. BIXBY & CO., he developed other dye products and inks.
Source: [/FONT]
https://www.etsy.com/listing/573431628/1880s-bixby-shoe-blacking-bottle-aqua?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-art_and_collectibles-collectibles-advertisements&utm_custom1=85c274a9-b581-4f2a-b37c-c2e0f8e90e74&gclid=
Don......

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both very much . It did not look quite like an ink well but that was the only thing close that I thought it could be .This one has some damage around the very top of it but the glass is intact . I do not have anything similar so I don't mind the damage at all

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That dude was a prolific shoe polish bottler. We find those all the time here. The ones with color are really great and much harder to come by. But yep, you are in a good area when those start popping up. Nice. Jgas.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JGAS Apparently the people using the dump where I found this one did not do very much polishing of their shoes .Or they had no shoes to polish .It is the only one I found and I do not recall any pieces that might have been a broken one .But thanks for your info I will keep looking for more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread