Figural bird bottle

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threw the dice on this at a Thrift Store for $1.99 . BIM , very thin delicate glass, a couple of small bubbles, loads of whittle ,crude lip , NO pontil . how old do ya think it is ?? is it some pier 1 import ?? , or could it be 1890s ,early 1900s ?? All opinions appreciated !! Thanks .

Attachments

• DSCF5496.JPG
    DSCF5496.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF5503.JPG
    DSCF5503.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF5502.JPG
    DSCF5502.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF5501.JPG
    DSCF5501.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF5497.JPG
    DSCF5497.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF5498.JPG
    DSCF5498.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 89

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have no idea but it's a cool buy. Congrats

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Not sure how old it is, but it sure is a beautiful piece, worth every penny!

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
I've never seen anything like it . Can't go wrong for that price.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a cool bottle . though I don't believe it's very old . the glass has a modern appearances.

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be like a practice piece from a modern blower. Definitely hand blown. The stress marks in the glass near the lip, and the rough lip indicate it was snapped off the end of the blowing rod. It might be an apprentice piece too....

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so this piece is not terribly old from what I can tell. Looks like a seam line going up it and that combined with "waviness" of the texture leads me to believe it was made using a wet plaster mould(possibly wet wood mould but I doubt it). This could also be the reason for the discoloring on the lip; which is either plaster dust, or where a waxy tool touches the glass when it was really hot on the reheat of the neck, or least likely from the looks is where it cracked and was refused together. the beak is impressive if its part of the mould, but most likely pulled out later in the process before breaking off the blow pipe(nearly impossibly to get something that long and thin to blow in a mould. If it was puntiled it was directly in line with the bottle neck on the birds breast. Could have been cold worked and polished away if it was puntiled(carefully looking for a slightly different surface there could give it away. this piece could also be made from boro silicate glass on a torch, which would be a slightly different but similar process, and this a real possibility looking at the thicknesses of the piece. this is no older than 1960s most likely though from with in the past 20 to 30 years

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice purchase! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
PikesPeakCharlie

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so this piece is not terribly old from what I can tell. Looks like a seam line going up it and that combined with "waviness" of the texture leads me to believe it was made using a wet plaster mould(possibly wet wood mould but I doubt it). This could also be the reason for the discoloring on the lip; which is either plaster dust, or where a waxy tool touches the glass when it was really hot on the reheat of the neck, or least likely from the looks is where it cracked and was refused together. the beak is impressive if its part of the mould, but most likely pulled out later in the process before breaking off the blow pipe(nearly impossibly to get something that long and thin to blow in a mould. If it was puntiled it was directly in line with the bottle neck on the birds breast. Could have been cold worked and polished away if it was puntiled(carefully looking for a slightly different surface there could give it away. this piece could also be made from boro silicate glass on a torch, which would be a slightly different but similar process, and this a real possibility looking at the thicknesses of the piece. this is no older than 1960s most likely though from with in the past 20 to 30 years
Tp , the discoloring on the lip was just a lime / mineral scale from I’m guessing water that was in it,but it is gone now. The beak does not show seam lines. Thanks ! It is a cool piece

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass blower for sure very talented. Nice piece

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread