epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG THANKS to fellow collector Elliot Wilfong for originally putting me in touch with the caretaker of this ONLY KNOWN complete example of the Tiffany & Allen Paterson N.J. Codd bottle. The seller and I had a deal made for it, but he got a little hinky on me, and the deal couldn't be completed to his satisfaction. Then he showed up at the York show with it and showed it to my buddy and long time digger/collector/seller Jim Jack, he called me from the show, but once again the seller got cold feet. THANKFULLY while at Shupp's Grove the owner once again approached Jim with the bottle, and the original deal we had agreed on was completed!!

My mentor, the "Guru", has one he dug in Paterson, unfortunately it's in two pieces, so this is a true prize, and much more of a rarity than my Archdeacon mineral water. At this time I would say this is the #3 bottle of all the Paterson bottles any of us local collectors would want to acquire, two down, two to go. Been a long time since I posted here, but this is a very worthy bottle. Photo conditions aren't the best right now, so these two images will have to do, embossing is...

Front;

TIFFANY & ALLEN / REGISTERED / TRADE / T&A / MARK / ACCORDING TO LAW / PATERSON N.J.

Back;

CODD'S / REIS / AUG 13 78

Around Base;

H. CODD'S PAT JULY 23 1872 & APR 29 1873

$1$aaa1111a.jpg
$1$aaaa.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Unusual looking bottle, but it is a treasure. Sounds like a stressful acquisition.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Unusual looking bottle, but it is a treasure. Sounds like a stressful acquisition.
Not really stressful, I actually felt bad for the guy. He had people in the past, who like me told him they wanted to buy certain bottles for their personal collections, only to flip them on Ebay or in high-end glass auctions for 10-20 times what they paid for them, so he was a bit gun shy. If it were me size 14 work boots would be in their asses, so I was happy to know a whole example existed and that I had the inside track on it, I figured karma would reward as it has many times in the past. I was right... :)

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful bottle.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
BIG THANKS to fellow collector Elliot Wilfong for originally putting me in touch with the caretaker of this ONLY KNOWN complete example of the Tiffany & Allen Paterson N.J. Codd bottle. The seller and I had a deal made for it, but he got a little hinky on me, and the deal couldn't be completed to his satisfaction. Then he showed up at the York show with it and showed it to my buddy and long time digger/collector/seller Jim Jack, he called me from the show, but once again the seller got cold feet. THANKFULLY while at Shupp's Grove the owner once again approached Jim with the bottle, and the original deal we had agreed on was completed!!

My mentor, the "Guru", has one he dug in Paterson, unfortunately it's in two pieces, so this is a true prize, and much more of a rarity than my Archdeacon mineral water. At this time I would say this is the #3 bottle of all the Paterson bottles any of us local collectors would want to acquire, two down, two to go. Been a long time since I posted here, but this is a very worthy bottle. Photo conditions aren't the best right now, so these two images will have to do, embossing is...

Front;

TIFFANY & ALLEN / REGISTERED / TRADE / T&A / MARK / ACCORDING TO LAW / PATERSON N.J.

Back;

CODD'S / REIS / AUG 13 78

Around Base;

H. CODD'S PAT JULY 23 1872 & APR 29 1873

View attachment 1617919
View attachment 1617920

VERY NICE! I'm glad it finally worked out for you.

Just out of curiosity...what's something like that worth? If you're comfortable saying of course.

Thanks,
Kace

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
epackage That sure is a neat looking bottle .Only bad thing is now I feel bad about how excited I get about 99% of the stuff I find .Thanks for the pic and the history of some really rare item most likely I will never find .But what keeps me digging is the chance something I don't have will show up .Best of luck on the mission for the next 2 to complete your collection

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY NICE! I'm glad it finally worked out for you.

Just out of curiosity...what's something like that worth? If you're comfortable saying of course.

Thanks,
Kace
My guess is it would bring $1500, or maybe more, in a good bottle auction...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Maybe I need to pay more attention to all these old bottles around here?! lol!

Seems like there's a lot of you Jersey guys around... I've only been there a couple of times but I'd like to detect back there on a vacation sometime... lots of different history there compared to here.

Kace

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m glad that a bottle like that ended up in that awesome and extensive Patterson NJ collection of yours. Congratulations.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done e, there are things that need to be in the right place and I'd say that one is where it belongs. More important that it be part of the whole rather than a rare bottle sitting on someones shelf if that makes any sense.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is insane, Jim and congratulations on landing it after so long. I know a fellow that has the only known Codd from Columbus, Ga. Neck missing and what remains looks like it was drug down an asphalt highway for miles, but he beams with pride in just knowing that one exists. I don't think a Jared Spencer could've made him any happier! Happy for you, brother.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your acquisition

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! It must have felt great to cross this one off the list. I'm not really a fan of Codd bottles, but if it were a local one then I guess I'd have to have it.

So, was this bottle made in America, or across the pond?

And what are the other "two to go" that you still need? I feel like I've asked you this before, but, remind me! haha

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three of those.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey E, I will give you $1501 for it!!!!! Lol. Sweet deal. I’m sure you will have it in your massive collection for years to come. Where it should be. Congrats on the deal. Jgas.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations! It must have felt great to cross this one off the list. I'm not really a fan of Codd bottles, but if it were a local one then I guess I'd have to have it.

So, was this bottle made in America, or across the pond?

And what are the other "two to go" that you still need? I feel like I've asked you this before, but, remind me! haha
A blood red Wm. Bowden quart blob, and an Archdeacon mineral water that predates my 1850 example. As of now only a shard of a rectangular slugplate example has been unearthed, we figure the shard dates to 1847, the year he went into business....

$1$aaa111aa.JPG
$1$aaa111a.JPG

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey E, I will give you $1501 for it!!!!! Lol. Sweet deal. I’m sure you will have it in your massive collection for years to come. Where it should be. Congrats on the deal. Jgas.
Right after my buddy bought the bottle for me a longtime NJ collector tried to buy it right away, but my buddy told him it was going to me, so he knew to give up making offers... LOL

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A blood red Wm. Bowden quart blob, and an Archdeacon mineral water that predates my 1850 example. As of now only a shard of a rectangular slugplate example has been unearthed, we figure the shard dates to 1847, the year he went into business....

View attachment 1618156
View attachment 1618157

Okay, so you've told me about the Archdeacon. But that Bowden is INSANE, holy smokes, what a beautiful bottle. All I can do is wish you luck!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other