New Hotel

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
Hi , I'm Joe from Ironton Ohio. They are going to build a new 5 story hotel in Ironton and since there was a dump or whatever it was years ago the had remove bad dirt or whatever you call it to build the hotel. Me and a lot of people are finding lots of bottled. Showing pics of the ones I have found but a lot of other people have found a lot more. I'm not realy a bottle collecter but love local history so am mostly looking for local bottles but I also pick up ones that have embossing on them. Nobody around here remembers when that was a dump because there were houses tore down to build the hotel so how could people have lived where there was a dump. Anyway here is some pics.

Attachments

• GEDC2057.JPG
    GEDC2057.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 199
  • GEDC2058.JPG
    GEDC2058.JPG
    526.5 KB · Views: 169
  • GEDC2059.JPG
    GEDC2059.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 191
  • GEDC2055.JPG
    GEDC2055.JPG
    886.4 KB · Views: 220

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
You have some good stuff there. Especially the soda Hutchinson bottles. That dates to the 1890s. I’d be there camped out and grabbing everything. As you say the embossed ones are the best. The slicks( no embossing are toss backs). But you may find some local brewery beers there or meds. Great stuff. Meet it going. Jgas.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome haul that cluster of Hutchinsons would keep me on-site 24/7! Get back in there and keep getting the goodies while the gettin' is good!

Have you found any local embossed Pharmacy/Druggist bottles? Always a favorite of mine.

OP
OP
I

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
Yea those Hutchinson bottles are Champian Bottling works bottles which was in Ironton and I found two drug or medicine GEDC2060.JPG GEDC2060.JPG GEDC2062.JPG GEDC2063.JPG GEDC2065.JPG bottles.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be wheeling my wheel barrow down there and loading up as fast and as many as I could . You can always sort and decide what you do not want later . Mother lode might be to mild for what it looks like to me .And someone else is doing the digging . Sounds like fun

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, so I had never seen that big embossed medicine before and tried searching "Lynds Virgin Liver and Blood Syrup Ironton, Ohio" using different iterations and approaches and couldn't find a single reference anywhere to the bottle, product, or company. It wasn't listed on the Antique Medicine Nexus and seems to be quite the mystery, unless you have some local insight on the bottle?

Anyway, it seems like an exceptionally rare patent medicine, with the "Virgin" woman holding a bottle trademark being quite unique, and the "Irony" (:laughing7:) of a Liver and Blood tonic being produced in the aptly named Ironton adds extra appeal to an already interesting bottle. I'll bet ya that bottle is far and away the best of the batch, and unless it is known locally and not as rare/unique as it appears from my end you may have made a brand new bottle discovery!

Congratulations on the unexpectedly excellent discovery, you really need to get back there and dig like the devil while ya still can!

Lovebottles

Sep 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does any of them Amber bottles say Jay Walker Brewing Company?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chance like that when the City of Albany Georgia began construction of a new park down by the Flint River. There were bottles everywhere. I actually paid a construction worker on a weekend to dig with the backhoe for us. I came home with the back of my vehicle loaded with 1890s bottles from the local area including some small town straight sided sodas and Hutchinson's. Keep at it as much as you can because this opportunity will likely go away before you know it and never be available to you again. Good luck and keep posting your finds.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought of this. - Find out where they are taking the "Bad Dirt" to. I'd metal detect the area as well.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That’s a great haul and assortment you got there. Stick with it! Keep sending photos too

OP
OP
I

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
I will look and see if any of the bottles are J Walker Brewing . We had a Ebert Brewing Co and a John W Truby Brewery here and some of the bottles are from there and some of the bottles are from there. The forum below mine was asking about Coca Cola bottles and i found this one from Huntington W Va which has Huntington's name on the bottle. Like I said don't know much about old bottles but did old coke bottles have the name of the city on the bottle where it was made back in the old days.

GEDC2067.JPG GEDC2068.JPG

OP
OP
I

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
And someone said to go to where they are dumping the dirt and I have done that and there are many bottles there also. This is pics of where of where the bottles are coming from. DSC00063.JPG DSC00058.JPG DSC00054.JPG DSC00062.JPG DSC00046.JPG

OP
OP
I

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
I've been living in Ironton for 76 years and have never heard of the Lucas drug store or the Lynds liver and blood syrup store and have talked to older people who also don't remember. I guess I will have to go to the library and go through some old city directory's and see if i can find anything. The brewery bottles I found I knew about.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your killing me! I’d be running around that site like a fat kid hunting for Easter Eggs and candy.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched google and found references to the Lucas Drug Co from the early 1900s and suspect those bottles are known, but still see nothing about the Lynd's Virgin Liver and Blood Syrup bottle.

Searching for anything relating to the Lynd name and Ironton, I came across a digitized history of the area from 1916 and it included references to 2 men who may have sold the syrup; a doctor and his father, a prosperous grocer.

W. Wilson Lynd, M. D. One of the representative physicians and
surgeons of the younger generation in his native city and county, Doctor
Lynd is established in the successful general practice of his profession
at Ironton, the judicial center and metropolis of Lawrence County, with
office and residence at 306 South Sixth Street. In the surgical branch
of his profession he has performed numerous minor operations and
assisted in delicate major operations, but he has not found it expedient to
specialize in any phase of practice, as his services have been in requisition
along general lines and his success has been such as to indicate popular
appreciation of his ability and of his devotion to his exacting and
humane vocation.

Doctor Lynd was born at Ironton on the 25th of January, 1879, and
is a son of William H. and Nalona L. (Uriek) Lynd, both representa-
tives of honored pioneer families of Lawrence County, where the father
was born, at Burlington, on the 3d of November, 1852, the mother having
been born at Ironton in 1854 and having here been called to the life
eternal when but thirty years of age, her death having occurred in 1884.
William H. Lynd later wedded Miss Flora Cumpston and they have five
children — Georgia, Benjamin, Grace, Howard and Edith. Of the four
children of the first marriage one died in infancy and those surviving
are James C, Josephine, and Dr. W. Wilson Lynd, of this review.
William H. Lynd is a well known citizen and business man of Ironton,
where he is engaged in the retail grocery business.

I wonder if the father, William H. Lynd may have commissioned the bottles and manufactured the syrup, since it seems more like a nutritive substance than generally medicinal and thus may have seemed like a sensible product to stock on the shelves of his grocery? It may have been unsuccessful (perhaps "Virgin Blood" appeals more to vampires than regular customers), hence the apparent rarity and lack of information about it. I love the pictures of the bottle dirt by the way, looks like an awesome good time!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you got there is bottle heaven.
Take off work, and be there every waking minute of the day!
And keep us posted with more photos!
Congrates!
Carl

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, bring along a good rake.
Most people just think of using a shovel, you can search a lot more square footage that way.
Carl

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. I should stop more than I do.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread