Some forgiveness, and some more... (lots of pics)

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I've been a little busy for the last month or so, but I finally got out for a dig this past weekend. I think I got some forgiveness from the bottle gods, for dropping that jar a while back...

Anyway, about a month ago I had stopped by a roadside dump that I hadn't really given much of a chance before. It's one of those dumps. It's big and it's bad and most of the stuff is from the 1960s or later. After making a deep test hole near the top (I'm weird like that) I pulled this blown shoe polish or something from Hamilton. "Hey, there's stuff here!", I thought, but I wouldn't be able to return until a few days ago.

I went to work on this dump, I had no plan, I just wanted to dig. Haha, I was making holes near the top, near the bottom, on the sides, and those would all eventually run into one another and become larger holes. I was all over the place, but I was having fun. This might sound silly, but digging in this dump felt like digging in a dump, haha. It's big, it's steep, there's a lot of material, and there are even some small cave-ins once in a while, something I don't get to see very often.

But yeah, I'll just keep this short and summarize what I found using the last picture: a uranium glass shaker etched with a grapevine (the first uranium glass I've found intact), some different coloured slicks, an interesting early ABM ointment pot with cool straw marks, a perfume that I usually find in cobalt but this one was a weird light blue, a pair of inks, a clean aqua Crown quart (the forgiveness), a Crown pint, an Improved Gem pint, a nice bubbly light olive green ABM butter jar (closely resembles the CFJCo butter jars), some clear embossed bottles including the Hamilton polish, an earthenware ashtray, a buttload of cutlery, an early Owens scar light amethyst Improved Crown quart (probably my favourite), a tiny personal oil lamp with a sheared lip (I've discarded the crumbling components on top for now), some sodas that had great paint despite the ash (very mysterious, some of the cleanest bottles were in the worst soil), a cow tag, some pennies, two iodine poisons (always good to get a poison), some marbles, a pair of different Bovrils, a ceramic C.P.R. insulator, and an old lighter.

So that's it! The jars are probably my favourite, especially the Improved Crown. It's beaten up but it's beautiful. And the clean aqua quart is a great replacement for the one I dropped. The colour's different and it's a slightly later variant, but hey, I'll take it!

I'd say I'm about half of the way done with this dump. I hope there's more!

Good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF5828.JPG DSCF6074.JPG DSCF6097.JPG DSCF6725.JPG DSCF6732.JPG DSCF6713.JPG DSCF6924.JPG DSCF6747.JPG DSCF6756.JPG DSCF6767.JPG DSCF6772.JPG DSCF6778.JPG DSCF6812.JPG DSCF6780.JPG DSCF6895.JPG DSCF6905.JPG DSCF6816.JPG DSCF6974.JPG DSCF6863.JPG DSCF6938.JPG DSCF7111.JPG DSCF5801.JPG DSCF7133.JPG DSCF7062.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
You had a good day. Those crown jars are real nice. Why are dolls heads from back then so sinister looking? If I had to choose, I'd take the poison. I don't have one in my collection. Good luck with the rest of the dump and watch out for cave-ins

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow. Nice haul. Love the crowns. The poison is sweet too. Gotta freak a bit when ya see a doll head. Yikes. Keep it going. Jgas

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Great story and better pics man. How did you manage to snap your shovel?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! Yep, for some reason the doll heads always come out around this time of year...

I like the Crown jars too, especially the ABM varieties (more colours). I guess finding a nice Crown is like the Canadian equivalent of finding a nice Ball or Patent '58 jar in the States. Do you guys ever find Crown jars down there? This Improved Crown is awesome though, it's the oldest of the "Improved" Crowns, the only Crown embossed in this script style, and I have a hunch that it may be the first Crown made on an Owens machine.

And cje, that shovel has seen a lot of hard use, it's even worse now than it was in that picture. It was probably time for a new one a long time ago, but I'm usually the "ain't broke don't fix it" type. Maybe I should start the new year with a fresh one, haha

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds! That doll head is creepy looking.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding doll heads will put you in da mood for Halloween nice finds

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I’m going to start calling you the “jar-king”

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
islamoradamark, it sure does. I've found like, two doll heads in June the one year, and the rest were always ALL in the month of October, haha. Even better for the mood, my brother and I went metal detecting in the middle of the night at an old isolated abandoned house, the night before Halloween, it was spooky. Got an 1882 silver nickel among some other things!

Thanks Bass! I've never been a king before, haha, but I'm definitely happy with the recent spike in jar recoveries.

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!

I'm suitably jealous.

Quick question from a bottle newbie, if you don't mind.
I have 2 old 'home places' on my property. The houses are still standing, but dilapidated enough that they can't be lived in.
Any idea how I might figure out where to look for a dump around these old houses?
I've MD'd around them both, haven't found much.
I'd *love* to find old bottles.
Thanks for answering, if you're so inclined!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a woodlot somewhere nearby, check the perimeter. Also check any old roadsides, ravines, creeks, low spots, etc. "Out of sight, out of mind".

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing what a display case those would make.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread