Recent backyard find...need guidance!

Chris-bius

Greenie
Nov 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging a hole to plant a new mint plant in my back yard recently. Ground was extremely hard so i was digging deep to find good soil. About 2.5 ft I hit an old concrete slab. Directly underneath was old wood planking (resembling old wood floor). Under the wood I pulled up an old medicine bottle that I've been able to date back to 1927. Since that first bottle, I have dug up over 150 bottles, all pre 1950. A lot of the bottles are the same. About 15 brown glass Clorox bleach botttles, many perfume bottles, medicine bottles, and many more. The bottles just keep going and going. Also finding a few other things like a fireman's spanner wrench from 1925. Does anyone have any idea what this is I may have found?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
In the old days, everyone dumped their trash in the backyard. You found a DUMP. Keep digging it might get older as it gets deeper.

Good luck sir.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like an old septic tank that was filled up with trash when your house got hooked on the sanitation. The only thing that make me wonder is the wood planking which definetely makes not much sense in a septic tank.

Greets Namxat

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly an old well. In Colonial times, when the well dried up and went bad for some reason, they used it as a trash pit until it was full. That's why finding the old privy sites are great spots for a lot of artifacts. "One (Colonial) man's trash is another (modern) man's treasure"!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Sounds like a cistern to me. Lots of bottles to be found from that era in those things. Keep digging. Maybe some good treats down further. Jgas.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Chris-bius. Give us some pictures of your finds and dig site. We like pictures.

OP
OP
C

Chris-bius

Greenie
Nov 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies! I never thought about it being an old well, septic tank, or cistern but those are all definitely possible. I did some research and found out there was a post office located on the adjoining property or really close to it. It was opened in what used to be an old saloon in 1898 and closed in 1948. I've found records about the post office so I'm sure about that. I've been told there use to be an old country store next to the post office but I'm not certain where. With everything I've been finding, what are the odds I've found the old basement of that store? I'll post some pictures as soon as possible. We've had so muck rain here in N.E. Texas lately, the entire hole is flooded with about 4.5 ft of water.

OP
OP
C

Chris-bius

Greenie
Nov 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0918182141a-2.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ye olde outhouse hole.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you've got some stuff from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. This is how everyone starts. Soon you'll be foaming at the mouth for something older!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread