Neat little bottle, will an expert help me with ID please?

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, all.
Found this little bottle in my creek.
It's approx 5.5" tall, 2.5" wide at widest point, and super flat! About 1 cm in width. Believe it or not, there's a big rock stuck inside. The stone is bigger than the bottle opening. what the heck tho...?:icon_scratch:

The side seam is very pronounced, I can tell it went thru the seam of the mold resulting in press through.

The bottom markings are K in a keystone, J, & 4.

Looks like it must've had a stopper as opposed to a pop-off or screw cap, as the bottle has no lip & no threads.

I'm leaning towards alcohol or perfume, but I'm thoroughly uneducated on bottles.

Any help is very appreciated!

Guess I'll go back to browsing all the awesome stuff everyone else seems to always find, and await an opinion on my wee lone ranger.:laughing7:

creek bottle 11 2018 1.jpg
creek bottle 11 2018 2.jpg
creek bottle 11 2018 3.jpg
creek bottle 11 2018 4.jpg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure the stone isn't a cork ?

OP
OP
D

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant!
No sir, I'm not sure.

I'll check & brb.

Seriously, that's brilliant.

Edit to add: OMG you're RIGHT!!

I'd have never thought of that. We're all clapping for you here at my house. :notworthy::notworthy::headbang:

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a whiskey pocket flask :occasion14:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a later "Essence of Jamaica Ginger" flask, I've also seen castor oil packed in such bottles but that was probably just someone using-up cheap NOS (new old stock) bottles they obtained somewhere. "Jake" contained 90% alcohol, and was very popular with hardcore alcoholics.

OP
OP
D

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SQUEEEEEAL!!:censored:

I'm so excited!! I kinda wondered when I first found it, because it's so flat. Then I thought probably not, since it wouldn't hold much.

Hoo boy, that'd be more than awesome. Thanks so much.

Any idea how old? I'm gonna throw out a wild guess and say 1930s-40s.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an extremely helpful website for identifying and dating bottles with makers marks: https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/

"K in a keystone…………Knox Glass Bottle Company/Knox Glass Associates, Knox, Pennsylvania and other plant locations (1917-1968). Mark introduced circa 1932(?) Knox operated a number of glass manufacturing plants over many years during the 20th century, and each plant used a different letter inside a keystone as it’s mark. Sometimes there is no discernable letter inside the keystone shape. For much more in-depth information on the Knox family of plants and the marks they used, please check out these two articles written by Bill Lockhart: http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/knox2_brg.pdf and
http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/knoxglas.pdf ."

Seems like you're spot-on with the age! I'm not sure about the actual contents, but with such a minuscule volume it was either medicine, or "medicine" :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

Digginit

Oct 28, 2012
Red River, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find on Knox, thanks Plumbata. I found that site last night but it was terribly difficult to navigate (to me, anyway)...kept going in circles, ended up with 15 tabs open and I simply gave up as it was late, & went to bed.

Just now when I clicked your links, it goes straight to the Home page and I still can't find what you posted.
So thanks for posting that, it's appreciated!
I worked in a Glass House for years, but never made bottles - just table ware, mostly drinking glasses.

I may fill this bottle with water, then pour the contents into a medicine cup to get an idea of how much it held.
I guess such a small amt might get a hard-core alcoholic thru "a moment" or two. Especially if the stuff was 90 proof!:drunken_smilie:

Still can't believe there's a piece of cork in it...that's crazy. It was completely full of sand & gravel when I found it. When the square piece wouldn't come out, I just thought it was a curiosity that a rock had wedged its way thru the opening somehow. Thank goodness we didn't attempt to get it out after I got home. I'd have ruined the whole thing.

Thanks for the help, y'all. Very appreciated!

:weee:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they put flavouring extracts in these types of flasks, too. But just about anything, I suppose.

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had to guess I would say that it is probably an extract flask. It looks very similar to a whiskey flask, but whiskey flasks were usually larger, they almost always held half a pint or a full pint. That looks to be about 4 ounces, that's why im thinking its a flavoring extract, not a whiskey

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Essence of Jamaica Ginger" is a flavoring extract fellas, just notorious for its misuse by alkies. Wouldn't be surprised if it contained a more mundane flavoring though.

Antique-Bottle-Harris-Extract-Binghamton-NY-Jamaica-Ginger.jpg

I think the bottle Digginit found is only 1-2oz capacity, I wish they still packaged stuff in goofy thin bottles like that.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I've even seen these exact flasks with labels for turpentine, not the most common use for them, but merchants had an entire catalog to choose bottles from in the forms they thought were best for their product...

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I think I've seen a furniture/stove polish label as well. It's more than likely that someone has taken a swig out of the wrong flask before. Haha, yummy!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's more than likely that someone has taken a swig out of the wrong flask before. Haha, yummy!

Hah, no doubt! I read an amusing story about someone who woke up, went to the bathroom to apply eye-drops but realized too late that he had just superglued his eyes shut! Those hobnailed poison bottles were a pretty good idea.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Superglue in a container that resembles an eye drop bottle? Keeping super glue with the medicines, etc in the bathroom??

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superglue in a container that resembles an eye drop bottle? Keeping super glue with the medicines, etc in the bathroom??

Never store a tube of toothpaste in the same bathroom drawer as a tube of preparation H, just sayin.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flask its always fun to research Great ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread