Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these 2 bottles today, and was wanting a little info. Thanks in advance.

First one I believe is a beer or ale. No seam with applied lip. Strange indentation going around the neck. Guessing 1880's
IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1604.JPG

This is the second snuff bottle from this area. This one has 3 dots, the first one has none. Im seeing a rough scar on the bottom with seams. Any ideas on Age?
IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1607.JPG IMG_1609.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there. The black glass ale looks 1860-1870ish to me. The snuff is early machine made, probably 1910-1930.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're bang on with the first one, might even be slightly earlier. Blown in a three-piece mould. It does have seams, but they might appear faint because it was a well used mould or because the bottle was tumbling around in the water for a long time. Is it a water bottle?

The snuff is machine made, probably 1910-1920.

Great finds!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds there. The black glass ale looks 1860-1870ish to me. The snuff is early machine made, probably 1910-1930.
Thanks for the info, sand. Interesting to know the ale could be a bit earlier than I thought.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you're bang on with the first one, might even be slightly earlier. Blown in a three-piece mould. It does have seams, but they might appear faint because it was a well used mould or because the bottle was tumbling around in the water for a long time. Is it a water bottle?

The snuff is machine made, probably 1910-1920.

Great finds!
Thanks NK. I cannot see any seams. There is some unusual indentation where the upper body meets the neck. It Is a water bottle. I have been walking a ditch that I believe runs through an old dump. I have seen some older pieces, but nothing complete.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NK. I cannot see any seams. There is some unusual indentation where the upper body meets the neck. It Is a water bottle. I have been walking a ditch that I believe runs through an old dump. I have seen some older pieces, but nothing complete.

They're there, just tough to see sometimes. And your indentation isn't unusual, this is called a "lady's leg" shape. Yours is actually relatively subtle, some are far more pronounced!

bottleseams.jpg

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They're there, just tough to see sometimes. And your indentation isn't unusual, this is called a "lady's leg" shape. Yours is actually relatively subtle, some are far more pronounced!
Ok, I get it. I didn't realize it was 3-piece. I just thought it was a strange indentation. thanks again

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem! I really like that ale bottle, nice and early, nice shape and colour. That'd be a day maker for me.

Go get some more!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly those are awesome Great display bottles

Top Member Reactions