Went to a1800's site FOUND BOTTLES!!!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello! I went detecting in a park that had an old one room school house in the 1800's. I didn't find anything metal worth keeping but I found these bottles. The green one isn't that old I don't think... or the brown one with the screw on top (I think it's just a modern beer). But the other brown one that doesn't have a screw on top I think is older. I don't know anything about bottles so if you could give me an age for these it would be appreciated. Thanks! 20190505_195727.jpg 20190505_195715.jpg 20190505_195741.jpg 20190505_195820.jpg 20190505_195749.jpg 20190505_195805.jpg 20190505_200000.jpg 20190505_195658.jpg 20190505_195637.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are definitely made sometime after 1960, might even be as late as the 1980s. There must be some older stuff around!

NJ

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are definitely made sometime after 1960, might even be as late as the 1980s. There must be some older stuff around!

NJ

Thanks! Yah the detecting didn't work well because I didn't have a proper shovel and there was a ton of Iron around. Also, there was lots of roots too. I plan to go back with proper tools.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Yah the detecting didn't work well because I didn't have a proper shovel and there was a ton of Iron around. Also, there was lots of roots too. I plan to go back with proper tools.

No problem! If there was an old schoolhouse there, look around for any sinking depressions in the ground - there must have been an outhouse there at one time, and it would probably contain some older glass.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem! If there was an old schoolhouse there, look around for any sinking depressions in the ground - there must have been an outhouse there at one time, and it would probably contain some older glass.

An outhouse??? Ew! I don't want to dig in ancient poop lol!!! Well its in the woods... and it bumpy, lumpy ground everywhere!!! Im not sure exactly where the school was. I got the coordination off of a historic site. I was just doing the gereral area. It's going to have trash because it's in a park. There is a clearing but it is a fire pit area now... maybe that was where the school sat before? And their is a cleared pathway but it might have been made after... I don't really know.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds there. No fossolized poop in your future lol thats hillarious. Though thats where you will find the old stuff lol When your looking for old homes or Schools I look at the trees most old places where there was a structure you will see trees that were planted like I found an old home by finding a few old maple trees that there were no others any where around plus swing that detector dig everything spot to spot to get a clue to what was there before. Ill send those pics of my Jewelry collection Ive just been busy busy busy keep rippin My girl Tommy

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hit the site hard. There is bound to be some old stuff left behind. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds there. No fossolized poop in your future lol thats hillarious. Though thats where you will find the old stuff lol When your looking for old homes or Schools I look at the trees most old places where there was a structure you will see trees that were planted like I found an old home by finding a few old maple trees that there were no others any where around plus swing that detector dig everything spot to spot to get a clue to what was there before. Ill send those pics of my Jewelry collection Ive just been busy busy busy keep rippin My girl Tommy

Lol... I went with my sister in her car. We didn't have a good shovel so I wanted to use the heavy metal one we used to pick up our dogs poop... she said, "I ain't using the doo doo!" LOL! �� I told her that it's fairly clean now... we put our dog down 2 years ago... she didn't want to put it in her car even if we put a bag over it lol! I don't mind getting dirty... but digging in poop? that is a big stretch for me!!! But maaaaybe...
I think we were digging in the wrong spot. There was a little trail that led to a pond. The area was clear of trees but it was mucky everywhere and there was a pond so it didn't cross my mind that maybe it didn't used to be a pond there... maybe the school house was there before? I was puzzled because there wasn't a big cleared area... only where the fire pit was and it wasnt a big clearing. Maybe it was where the school was but then it became a pond after the school was removed. That is a problem... I don't have a waterproof detector. Maybe it's just flooded in the spring... hmm...��

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The poop will be long, long gone. Just dirt and hopefully bottles and relics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread