Just post something... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree602Likes

Thread: Just post something...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingthe1 View Post
    Beautiful, I love the subtle differences in the coloring of the old bottles. Please share how you set up the lighting for that picture. I can’t do mine justice.
    I've had a time getting it right myself, and this was the first time I had tried this set up. I took the old ironing board that belonged to my granny, the kind you lay across two chairbacks, and put it on my work bench. It's just a rough sawn 1 x 12. As a side note, the taper on the end was done with a hatchet. Anyway, I took a large piece of white poster board that some hood stripes came in that I had to install for a customer (I don't throw away much), and caught one edge under the back edge of the board and curved it up against my shop window. It was getting late in the day, so I also aimed an old desk lamp from the right for a little extra light. After taking the picture, I cropped it to take out all the crap, bringing the bottom up just to include the edge of the board. Never have been a fan of pictures of otherwise great artifacts with grungy feet or dirty dishes in the background, but that's just me. With today's technology right at our fingertips, it's not like you need a photography studio. Sorry for digressing, but thanks for the kind words. It'll be interesting to see how well embossing shows up with this set-up.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by No gold in NY View Post
    I may have post this one a while back. Seeing one similar in your slicksters pic caused me to post this. Probably quart size and very dark olive color.

Attachment 1713492Attachment 1713493
    Beautiful, especially with that label.
    GB1 and Real of Tayopa like this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NJKLAGT View Post
    I don't think I've ever shown you guys this one, dug this in June 2015. Smooth base altered to a post-bottom mould. I haven't found this bottle online anywhere, only this clipping. I also dug a "Depew's Humor Ointment" from the same site, no info on that one either...

Attachment 1713519Attachment 1713520
    Only been collecting 45 years and never heard of that one. What a cool name. Amazing what's out there yet to be discovered.
    GB1, Real of Tayopa and NJKLAGT like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    18864 times
    Relic Hunting
    I'm with ya! Let me photograph a few I just found/bought.
    GB1 and Real of Tayopa like this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

Bullets wanted! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ml#post6272084

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1884 Wheaties
    1810 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Do you think Depew would be a local company and the bottles didn't get around?

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    18864 times
    Relic Hunting
    I found a Hoster's beer bottle from Columbus today on the Ohio river. 1920's probably. The bottom is broke, but I found the base piece, and it fits perfectly. Now I need super glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0793.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	1713597

Next I went to an antique store and bought a Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Compound, and a Wagners and Sons Brewing Company beer bottle. The Wagners bottle is especially cool, because they were in business from 1933-1937.

Name:	DSC_0794.jpg 
Size:	613.9 KB 
ID:	1713598

Name:	DSC_0798.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	1713599
    Davers, Plumbata, GB1 and 2 others like this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRelics View Post
    I found a Hoster's beer bottle from Columbus today on the Ohio river. 1920's probably. The bottom is broke, but I found the base piece, and it fits perfectly. Now I need super glue.

Name:	DSC_0793.jpg 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	1713597

Next I went to an antique store and bought a Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Compound, and a Wagners and Sons Brewing Company beer bottle. The Wagners bottle is especially cool, because they were in business from 1933-1937.

Name:	DSC_0794.jpg 
Size:	613.9 KB 
ID:	1713598

Name:	DSC_0798.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	1713599
    Those are nice .
    RustyRelics and GB1 like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6442 times
    Sandchip
    I like bottles but just can not locate many , mostly Clorox , Purex , & aluminum or Tin screw on lid types .

Ill take the embalmed, or 'Balsed' type's any day , usually some sort of medicine but not super old.
    Great Thread
    GB1 likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    Old find, recent find, bought yesterday or years ago, open pontil or crown top? Bring it. Posted it before? Doesn't matter. Not yours, but one you would love to have? Let's see it. If you like it, we want to see it.

Here's one that was found years ago, not 30 miles from me. It had kicked around the house for years, used by a family to prop a window open. Once the bottle community found out about it, Bob Mebane of Texas traveled to Georgia just to buy that bottle. Upon the passing of Mr. Mebane, it went to the Warren Lane collection, and now I believe it resides in the Mark Vuono collection. Only three examples of this mold exist to my knowledge, the other two in light amethystine and colorless. One of those that I would love to have, but when your pockets only go to the first knuckle, well...

Name:	GI-89a obv.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	1713655 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GI-89a rev.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	1713657

Photo credits and much thanks to Heckler & Company.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    Now, back to planet Reality with this little drug store that I found a couple of years back. Pretty sure it was the kinfolk of one of my teachers in school. She looked about 80 years old back then, and you know, it's just "Yes, ma'am, no ma'am" and try to stay quiet and outta trouble. She's long gone now with no family that I know of, and instead of being a little scatbag, now I wish I had spent more time talking with her. No telling what she could've told me that would really matter now that I've grown older.

Name:	eldridge.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	1713661
    NJKLAGT, Plumbata, GB1 and 2 others like this.

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1738 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here's this other thing, and I found one of these at this site before, metal detecting the first time though. This was in that same trash pit as the Meakin bowl. It's like a stamp, I'm not sure. This one has a man and woman watching birds or something...

Name:	DSCF9670.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	1714029
    sandchip, Plumbata, Bass and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1889 times
    Sadly I haven't had much luck looking for bottles in Wyoming, as the 40 acre old city dump/landfill (~1872-1920 or so) is now built over with homes and businesses and a park covers the rest. I was detecting a curb strip in the area and not 6 inches down was the dump layer with late 1910s stuff everywhere, and while I would if I could, alas even here sinking trenches and digging bottles in curb strips would be frowned upon .

I did manage to dig up on eBay this very rare 1870s applied-lip Patent Medicine from a sleepy farming town a bit west of Peoria, population around 2,400 now and 1,100 in 1880. It's the only patent med known from there and the only example I had ever seen come up for sale since I learned of the existence of the bottle in the '90s. I've spent a lot of time in and near that town, even found their dump, and one of these bottles was at the tippy-top of my list for the collection.

Dr Streeter's Magnetic Liniment
    Bristol, Tyler & Co.
    Farmington, ILL

Name:	DSCN5130.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	757.2 KB 
ID:	1714237

Name:	DSCN5131.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	636.1 KB 
ID:	1714238

Name:	DSCN5132.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	509.4 KB 
ID:	1714239
    sandchip, Bass and Bodkin like this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4543 times
    That's a great looking bottle, Plums. Sure sounds like a rare bird. Nothing like finally scoring one that you've been after for years. This hobby requires a lot of patience sometimes.

Do you still have that green, pontiled pickle you dug out of that later dump? I wouldn't mind seeing that one again.
    Plumbata likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    18864 times
    Relic Hunting
    Here are all the soda bottles I have ever found, excluding some duplicates. Yipee. I want a John Ryan.

Name:	DSC_0807.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1714400

I am actually going to sell most of these on ebay, along with a bunch of meds, good soda's and maybe a beer bottle or two. I need some extra money for better bottles!

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1884 Wheaties
    1810 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    I have that 7up. Wish I had that TruAde. It was my favorite soda back in '55.
    RustyRelics likes this.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links