sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any pics floating around of your (or your son's?) slave-made stoneware jug(s)? I thought you had found at least one in a creek, do you have others? Definitely some awesome pieces of history.

The one my son found is in the middle, with mine on either side.

jugs1.jpg

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you own a bottle shop, or do you just like bringing your "kids" to work? :-)

No, sir. Just like being surrounded by my old stuff while I'm working.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a bottle I got from a trade. (I got this from Leon on Antiquebottles.net Sand. I am Screwtop by the way)

DSC_0790.jpg

Kalamazoo Mich. The name alone, makes for a good bottle!

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Found this Park Brewing beer bottle in the Black River in western Wisconsin. The Winona Minnesota brewery was in business from 1904 to 1920.
IMG_20190528_211217_hdr.jpg IMG_20190528_211238_hdr.jpg

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, guys!

Kalamazoo Mich. The name alone, makes for a good bottle!

You are so right, RustyScrew:laughing7:. A good proprietor or place name does make a difference in the desireability of a bottle, for sure.

I talked to some guys doing some storm drain work a few years back. The trackhoe operator said he could hear glass crunching with every scoop. I had heard that a couple of saloons backed up to this low area. I begged, bargained, everything I could think of to get them to let me follow the bucket, but they were so danged paranoid about OSHA coming up or some crap that they wouldn't let me. I thanked them and noticed something laying on top of this mountain of dirt, so I figured I'd go up and over it as my exit route, picking this bottle up as a headed out. I saw the embossing in the slug plate and was happy enough because I had always wanted one of these. I got to the truck and wiped the clay off the back side and saw "Coca-Cola". Found out later from the fellow that wrote the book on Georga crowntops that this was only the third one he had ever heard of. I guess if you can only grab one bottle, it helps if it's a good one. Can't help but wonder what else was out there though...

abc coke.jpg abc coke1.jpg

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a pic of my three criers.

These are from my permission at an 1860's property. The woman said to take anything I wanted. I was poking around in the chicken coop and spotted a previously ignored rusty pail that contained these bottles. The man that stashed these passed over 35 years ago. Like me, he must have seen the value in preserving these. The center one has a hole punched in the side and is badly cracked. I didn't dare to clean it much.

MY THREE CRIERS.JPG

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of my three criers.

These are from my permission at an 1860's property. The woman said to take anything I wanted. I was poking around in the chicken coop and spotted a previously ignored rusty pail that contained these bottles. The man that stashed these passed over 35 years ago. Like me, he must have seen the value in preserving these. The center one has a hole punched in the side and is badly cracked. I didn't dare to clean it much.

Wow, those sure would've been nice. Have you probed the property in hopes that there are more in the ground?

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't have to probe much as the shale is at the surface in most places. I feel the dump was behind the attached wood shed and got pushed away along with the falling down woodshed. The pile is still out back there. I think this is where the guy got his bottles including the four nice 3 piece mold whiskeys I have. I also want to crawl under the house and barn. They must have been thirsty and left bottles.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our family was camping on top of a Rocky Mountain pass used before the railroads. There are a few log cabins near by. I was probing around the stream and my probe hit glass about 3 feet down. You can tell when you strike glass. I dug out this beauty. Very old by Colorado standards. Of course I dug a hole about 3 times as big and no other bottles. You can see where my probe scratched it! C963C695-1ECA-4F9B-ACC2-5C7D2B6A78B8.jpeg 68129F6C-3366-43E2-8076-C011302D7987.jpeg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Our family was camping on top of a Rocky Mountain pass used before the railroads. There are a few log cabins near by. I was probing around the stream and my probe hit glass about 3 feet down. You can tell when you strike glass. I dug out this beauty. Very old by Colorado standards. Of course I dug a hole about 3 times as big and no other bottles. You can see where my probe scratched it! View attachment 1717302 View attachment 1717303

Too bad about the scratches. Still is a beauty though. I could give it a good home back in NY.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the scratches. Still is a beauty though. I could give it a good home back in NY.
It’s pretty much mint, except for my little scratch. There are wavy mold lines. It’s a nice brown color. Someone probably purchased it in NY and then threw it off the wagon at the top of the pass when it was empty. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it. Bottles like this don’t show up here very often!

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bottle and amazing luck o' the probe!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, I feel like a small fry, posting cheap bottles in the presence of bottles worth of a few corks popping. Buuuut...I will post anyway!

DSC_0817.jpg

I got this from the guys at Adventure Archaeology! Birmingham Ala.

DSC_0819.jpg

Kalamazoo Coca Cola

DSC_0821.jpg

1915 Pat. Huntington West Virginia. A local bottle.

DSC_0824.jpg

One of my best meds. 1860's-1870's Mrs. Winslows Soothing Syrup.

DSC_0827.jpg

Bottle that dates to the early 1900s. It was dug by a dump digger, who was after older stuff. I got this from him for a dollar! He didn't want em! lol! I would have bought more, but I only had a few dollars on me.

DSC_0828.jpg

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I feel like a small fry, posting cheap bottles in the presence of bottles worth of a few corks popping. Buuuut...I will post anyway!

Hey man, there ain't nothing short about those bottles. I'd be proud of any of them and appreciate your sharing them with us. Love the script on those old straight-side and 1915 Cokes before they got it all standardized and all. Great photo set-up too. I'll have to try that. Just got to find the right forked tree in the right spot!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I too would be mighty pleased to have one of those straight sided CocaCola bottles on my shelf. I do have a nice Mrs. Winslow's. Here is some interesting info on this soothing syrup I found on line...

The primary ingredients of the syrup were morphine and alcohol, with approximately 65 mg of morphine per fluid ounce. A teaspoonful of the syrup, then, had the morphine content equal to that of approximately twenty drops of laudanum. Given that the 1873 edition of The Health Reformer suggested that babies six months of age receive no more than two to three drops of laudanum, the dosages listed on the bottles of Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup are alarming: For a child under one month old, the recommendation was 6 to 10 drops; children three months old were to be dosed half a teaspoon; and children six months old and up were to be given a teaspoonful three or four times a day! The recommended dosage for children with dysentery followed the amounts outlined above but was to be repeated every two hours until visual improvement was noticed. A teaspoonful of the syrup would have contained enough morphine to kill the average child, so it isn’t hard to understand why so many babies who were given Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup went to sleep only to never wake back up again, coining the syrup’s nickname, “the baby killer”. There is no statistic of the number of children that died from the use of soothing syrup, as many caregivers did not link the death to the syrup or they chose not to reveal the use of the syrup, but thousands of children are believed to have died from overdoses or from morphine addiction and withdrawal.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bottles all!!! I mostly metal detect but when I start finding bottles I drop everything and start grabbing. Funny, I once kept them all, even the ones with chips and cracks. I started to get overwhelmed and now only keep the unblemished and take the others back to a conspicuous place for others to grab, if they want them (they're always gone when I return). Never thought of posting any but will take some pics and do so. Great finds all. I don't think I have any that compare to these but they are my treasures non-the-less.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful bottles all!!! I mostly metal detect but when I start finding bottles I drop everything and start grabbing. Funny, I once kept them all, even the ones with chips and cracks. I started to get overwhelmed and now only keep the unblemished and take the others back to a conspicuous place for others to grab, if they want them (they're always gone when I return). Never thought of posting any but will take some pics and do so. Great finds all. I don't think I have any that compare to these but they are my treasures non-the-less.

No comparing going on here. If you like it, share it with us so we have something to look at each day. Doesn't even have to be your bottle but maybe one that you'd like to have. Here's one that the late legendary digger, Tommy Mitchiner had in his collection. Don't know what became of it, but it's one of the best "female" bottles I've ever seen. I wish that I had had a better camera back then. It reads "Risley's Philotoken / Nervous Antidote / Painful Menstruation / Prevents Miscarriage". Absolutely hellacious embossing.

female med.jpg female med1.jpg

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Ohioans out there who know anything about this one? Picked it up at an antique mall a couple of years ago and have yet to find out anything on it. Tooled crown top with loads of embossing reading "Registered / Fargo Mineral Springs Co./ Pure and Clean / Ashtabula, O./ Conneaut, O./ Xenia, O./ Bowling Green, O./ Refreshing / Hygienic". Might be common as hell, but for a dollar, who cares? Thanks for any help y'all can offer.

fargo.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk about embossing, this bottle has it. You want your buck back?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread