• BD310A81-8A2B-47BD-B39E-BB4AA23F6CFF.png
    BD310A81-8A2B-47BD-B39E-BB4AA23F6CFF.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 145

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The map doesnt show anything, but most maps didnt show outhouses because they were temporary structures. Does your yard have privy holes? Impossible to say. Depends on when your house was actually built and when city water and sewage lines were installed. If you think your house is pre-sewer, then you need a probe (about 5 foot) to check for them. Many times you can still see small shallow dips in the ground where the outhouse was located. If your yard did have one, its always possible there are multiple as the outhouses were moved to fresh holes after they got full.

OP
OP
R

Relicboy2257

Mar 25, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Whites Dfx,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There probably was one because sewage in my town was not introduced until the early 1920’s

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for dips around 4'x2' rectangle maybe bigger, dirt will be soft when stick a shovel in it, if u cant see the dips get a probe...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldnt be hard to spot if there is one or was one

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first area that I would start probing is at lower left, along the property line with your neighbor towards the back of the lot, and work my way out from there. Hey, I know there's one on my 1850s lot, too, but haven't found it yet. Found a well and a couple of pontils, but no privy. Yet.

Around here, they tend to be very shallow, 3 or 4 feet deep, unlined, and more than likely dipped. Hopefully, yours will be lined and full of goodies. Best of luck, my friend.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go to the town hall and find out when the sewers were put in, you might be wasting your time

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do you have any lilac bushes in the back of the house
They’d plant them next to outhouses and when it came time to move the outhouse.
They’d move the outhouse down and plant another lilac bush over the filled hole.
Decades later, same thing.
Eventually, on old, old properties, you’d see a line of these lilac bushes, usually on the edge of the property. Far away from delicate eyes. And noses.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions