xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow Bottle hunters. I found this yesterday. Any info on it would be much appreciated. It has seams along the sides and a blank bottom. The embossing reads: Neapolitan Wine & Importing co. Boston 37-43 Ferry st. 9oz. I couldn't find any info about it. On google maps there is no such thing as Ferry St. in Boston Ma. The glass is pretty thick. I'm looking for any info and a date range. I'm guessing it's a soda or mineral water bottle due to the size and shape. It doesn't really seem like a wine bottle to me. Thanks for any thoughts / info you can give me.

Attachments

• IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6821.JPG
    586 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6822.JPG
    IMG_6822.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 97

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the name, wine might be my first guess, but I'm not sure...

But it's a tooled top, a later blob, 1900-1910ish.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be. https://books.google.com/books?id=N...nepage&q=37-43 Ferry st. S. Boston VA&f=false There is also a Ferry St in South Boston VA. I see nothing on that bottle that indicates it's from Mass ?

Thanks for the info. Looks like this record is of a Ferry st. in the 1700's. I'm thinking it probably was around long enough for this company to exist in later times. I assumed it was Boston Ma. because it was found in Boston but stranger things have happened!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the name, wine might be my first guess, but I'm not sure...

But it's a tooled top, a later blob, 1900-1910ish.

Hey thank you for the info! That would make sense for the other coins that I found near it. I knew the top was an indicator of it but I didn't think that it would qualify as a blob top.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found this. They likely changed the name to something else in later years. https://www.historicnewengland.org/explore/collections-access/capobject/?refd=PC017.02.TMP.053

That's my guess. Historic New England is awesome. I don't know if you have visited any of the houses that they have but it's a great thing that they preserve history the way they do! There is a book they put out a couple years ago called Camera's Coast (I think) It's full of great photos of bygone times!

Whitey9457

Jun 30, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!

There is a Ferry St. in Everett which used to be part of the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston until it split off and was then part of Malden, MA until it split off again into its own town/city. Even though this happened in the mid/late 1800s, I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to use "Boston" as their location on advertisements/bottles. There is one in Hudson, NH that lists itself as "Nashua, NH" i think... so it probably isn't uncommon to pretend that they were from a city even if they were technically outside the border.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info wow that's a great relic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread