RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am on a three day trip in PA right now. I went to a dump in an old town, and found some neat stuff. (1910's lock, A.J. Whites Limited aqua med, Bromo Caffeine and a silver plated spoon). I found some cool shards, but nothing older than 1890. The town was established in 1857.

How do I get to the old stuff?

Here's the problem. The dump is on the side of a steep, and wooded hill.

I would post pics, but my photo editor is at the house.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old stuff could be under the new stuff or somewhere else entirely. Try going further down to see if there’s any older glass on the surface

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. Back in my teens, I excavated a similar site. There were two sites in the same ravine, one older. The old good stuff was actually nearer the top, but we had to gopher in with potato rakes to get to it, a couple feet into the hill, through the layers of rusty cans, broken newer trash, leaves and dirt. Good luck.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big round things like jugs, hutchinson sodas and whatnot will tend to roll down the hill and pile-up along with tin cans (which cushion the goodies and are easy to crunch through after turning to rust) closer to the base. Harder to get-to after a century of additional sediments collecting on-top but it's pretty amazing when you strike the zone where stoneware and sodas piled up.

Depending on the layout of the dump you could dig horizontally into the side of the hill and pay attention to the different layers. If you find a juicy glass/rust filled one then focus on that zone if you don't have the time to fully explore the dump and dig to the bottom/earliest layers.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you Rusty. I look forward to seeing some of your posted finds when you get back home. Be safe and have fun. Safety Tip: if you find yourself rolling down the hillside, make sure your shovel is not stuck inside your belt. Been there and unfortunately done that. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread