sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend brought this by a few years ago, asking if I knew anything about it. He picked it up at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Couldn't tell him much other than it looked 1890-1900 and that I thought he did fine at that price. Maybe a year later, I ran into him at an estate sale. He commented on some prints by a local artist that were for sale. I told him I had one that he could have if he wanted it. When he came by to pick it up a couple of days later, he handed me the bottle in trade. Wasn't expecting anything but was grateful. A couple of knowledgeable Kentucky collectors said they never had heard of it. It was mint except for a milky inside haze, so finally I sent it out west to have it cleaned last month. He also told me that in 50 years of collecting, he had never seen one. What a difference the cleaning made. It really pops on the shelf now. Of course, they'll probably be coming out of the woodwork now, but who cares? I still like it!

Before cleaning:

oak front.jpg oak before.jpg

And after:

oak front1.jpg oak qtr.jpg

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a cool piece Sandchip ! One of the more interesting barrel/bucket whiskies I've seen, and it looks great after the cleaning.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd think that is 1910-1920 pre prohibition era. That bottle looks distinctively banjo shaped - not a wild theory given the location. The embossing and perfection in that bottle leads me to believe that this is a post 1900 product.

Last edited:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That’s a beauty. Wow. Love it. Nice score. Jgas

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd think that is 1910-1920 pre prohibition era. That bottle looks distinctively banjo shaped - not a wild theory given the location. The embossing and perfection in that bottle leads me to believe that this is a post 1900 product.

Cowseatmaize on ABnet found an ad in a 1900 LA newpaper for a liquor distributor that listed it in the products he sold, assuming it's the same brand. I agree that it could've been produced as late as 1918, even though it has a tooled top since the feds only allowed 20% of all beer and liquor bottles to be blown by Owen's new machine.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't notice the top much, but the embossing and style reminds me of later manufacture. No doubt it's old though.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great flask !!!! Congrats !!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful bottle! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...That bottle looks distinctively banjo shaped...

That's a shape that I hadn't thought about, but it does have that look, sorta like a Dingen's Napoleon Bitters. I've also heard it called a canteen, but since it has staves, hoops and two ends, I'm going with barrel...even though it says bucket. Thanks much for everybody's comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread