Red Jacket Bitters Bottle Info - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Red Jacket Bitters Bottle Info

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Rock Hounding Boss

Aug 2011
    Iowa
    374 times
    North American Indian Artifacts
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    There's a different varient on ebay with the product name embossed, but no address or city.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Amber-...IAAOSwOFFdtjZb

Just spotted another, this one like yours, on Glassworks Auctions current sale. Lot 114.

https://www.absenteeauctions.com/gla...n/SHOWITEM.CGI
    Thanks for that link! I am curious to see what it brings. The only difference is that the base of my bottle is marked A & Co so there must have been a couple of different makers of that bottle.
    It’s called “HUNTING”, not “FINDING”. If it were called finding, I probably wouldn’t be nearly as entertained by staring at the ground while wandering aimlessly...
    >>—————->

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4539 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerhunter View Post
    ...The only difference is that the base of my bottle is marked A & Co so there must have been a couple of different makers of that bottle.
    If you look closely at the pictures of the bases, all three are embossed "A & Co." on the base. Hagenbuch made a typo in his written description of the embossing.
    epackage and Blak bart like this.

us
    Rock Hounding Boss

Aug 2011
    Iowa
    374 times
    North American Indian Artifacts
    Banner Finds (1)
    I see it now. I wonder why that one has a 5 on the base but it’s not on the one I found? This is why bottles are so confusing to me. You found an example that is exactly like mine in every way except for mine missing a number on the base. Why would a maker have small variations of the same mold and would that little difference change the rarity from one bottle to the other?
    Blak bart likes this.
    It’s called “HUNTING”, not “FINDING”. If it were called finding, I probably wouldn’t be nearly as entertained by staring at the ground while wandering aimlessly...
    >>—————->

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    4539 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ...would that little difference change the rarity from one bottle to the other?
    It may be incredibly rare, but that doesn't always translate to valuable. The mold numbers rarely make a difference, however different glasshouse markings like the "A & Co." in your case can become the focus of a collection. And regardless of rarity, unless somebody else is wanting/needing that particular glasshouse marking for their collection, monetary value is not necessarily going up for that reason alone. There are collectors of Hostetter's Bitters that try to get every mold varient, every glasshouse and every color out there simply because that brand was so prolific, so it becomes a challenge of sorts to have them all.

us
    Jim

Sep 2010
    Hewitt N.J.
    Whites Silver Eagle
    1848 times
    Paterson N.J. Bottles
    I see it now. I wonder why that one has a 5 on the base but it’s not on the one I found? This is why bottles are so confusing to me. You found an example that is exactly like mine in every way except for mine missing a number on the base. Why would a maker have small variations of the same mold and would that little difference change the rarity from one bottle to the other?
    Numbers like that are often mold or batch numbers, batch numbers were used because they got paid by the piece back in the day, so if you were a good blower with a good team you didn't want the bottles you were responsible for creating being credited to the guy on the other side of the building who only produced 1/2 as many bottles as your crew...
    PATERSON NJ BOTTLES WANTED!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links