Red Jacket Bitters Bottle Info

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I fount this bottle on a gravel bar in SE Nebraska while looking for arrowheads. Iā€™ve done some research and have determined it was made around 1866. What I havenā€™t been able to figure out is its rarity and value. I figure it must be pretty scarce because Itā€™s been hard finding any records of one like it online. Iā€™m not a bottle collector, so I donā€™t know any knowledge resources that I can take it to for information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!šŸ¤˜

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249663.026782.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249680.737532.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249699.905728.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249736.419275.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249770.055749.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249792.766431.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565249815.251830.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Is "Red Jacket Bitters" embossed on the fourth panel or would yours have been a label only varient? Having pinned it down to 1866, you may have already read this, but here's a link to Peachridge. You may contact Meyer and see if he can tell you more. If "Bitters" isn't embossed on it, that will tend to suppress the value somewhat. The collector that would be most interested would probably be one trying to assemble every varient of bottles from that company, or a collector of squares in general. Best of luck.

https://www.peachridgeglass.com/2013/03/red-jacket-bitters-another-chicago-indian/

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a nice bottle !! Congrats.....she's a beauty !!

OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. Is "Red Jacket Bitters" embossed on the fourth panel or would yours have been a label only varient? Having pinned it down to 1866, you may have already read this, but here's a link to Peachridge. You may contact Meyer and see if he can tell you more. If "Bitters" isn't embossed on it, that will tend to suppress the value somewhat. The collector that would be most interested would probably be one trying to assemble every varient of bottles from that company, or a collector of squares in general. Best of luck.

https://www.peachridgeglass.com/2013/03/red-jacket-bitters-another-chicago-indian/

Thanks for the info. It had a label on the 4th panel. Who is this Meyer fella and how would one go about contacting him?

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info. It had a label on the 4th panel. Who is this Meyer fella and how would one go about contacting him?
Ferdinand Meyer is the president of the Federation of Historical Bottle Collectors, if you look to sell it I'd suggest Glass Works Auctioneers, this is the first time I've ever seen this variant. Good luck if you decide to sell it, Ferds email is [email protected], and here is the link to Glass Works if you want to contact them... Glass Works Auctions

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad, funny thing is I chat with him 4 to 5 times a week, my brain is fried... LOL

I understand. He did a lot for the Federation and I still think of him as president too at times.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only imagine what that looked like sitting on a sandbar :notworthy:Congrats !!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly that's freakin cool go back and look for more

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that banner.....I think a lot of us voted without saying anything....I sure did it's an awsome find !!

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent some time in Nebraska bars, and I found a few bottles, too. Never thought about looking for arrowheads. Maybe next time.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is so cool!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is a topic that interests me greatly.

I've been studying and sampling mid-19th century alcoholic beverages for the last couple of years and 'bitters' plays an important role.

In American colonial times, bitters was typically a concoction made of herbs and essential oils put together by the local apothecary (pharmacist). Whatever your problem, the apothecary could mix up something to make you feel better.

Distilled liquors were gaining popularity at the time. Men would often start their day (this was before coffee became the morning beverage) with a 'Sling' - water, sugar, and your liquor of choice. I can assure you these are pretty tasty but the sugar and alcohol combination are a hangover waiting to happen. So when your stomach was upset and your head was aching, you went to the apothecary for a dose of bitters to make yourself feel better.

As people began to realize that it was the morning Sling(s) that caused the problem and the afternoon bitters that was the answer, they got the brilliant, albeit twisted, idea to mix the cause with the cure and voila - we have the beginnings of the mixed drinks known as "cocktails".

Here is a recipe from an 1862 book on bar tending:

jerrythomas bitters.JPG

I've actually made this one and it is delicious. I did make one change. Virginia snake-root is toxic to humans, so I replaced it with a small amount of fresh ginger.

ƀ votre santĆ©!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on making the banner! That's a very cool bottle.

It does make me wonder yet again how items make their way to the banner. I'm not suggesting your bottle doesn't belong up top. I'm just not sure how the process works. It seems arbitrary.

Your thread remained in relative obscurity with only a handful of posts over the last month or so. I know it was posted in the Bottles & Glass forum so it doesn't see the same traffic as say, the Today's Finds forum but it appears that you made the banner with very little feedback from the community.

But aside from all of that, is this a rare, valuable specimen? I didn't get that vibe from most of the posts on this thread. What would be the value on this piece? How many other examples are out there? I don't know much about bottle collecting and I'm curious. Thanks!

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner! That's a very cool bottle.

It does make me wonder yet again how items make their way to the banner. I'm not suggesting your bottle doesn't belong up top. I'm just not sure how the process works. It seems arbitrary.

Your thread remained in relative obscurity with only a handful of posts over the last month or so. I know it was posted in the Bottles & Glass forum so it doesn't see the same traffic as say, the Today's Finds forum but it appears that you made the banner with very little feedback from the community.

But aside from all of that, is this a rare, valuable specimen? I didn't get that vibe from most of the posts on this thread. What would be the value on this piece? How many other examples are out there? I don't know much about bottle collecting and I'm curious. Thanks!

It would be very informative if he took another digital of the label. I think all facets of a find should be photographed if going to publicly display them. Probably could help positively ID the bottle then.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner. The color on that piece is wonderful.

It's refreshing to see some different items up there.

OP
OP
Huskerhunter

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, thanks to everyone for giving me the banner votes! I havenā€™t logged on for awhile, so this came as quite a surprise. Considering that I primarily look for arrowheads and artifacts, this old bottle was the last thing I would have ever thought Iā€™d find that would get one of my posts up on the banner. Iā€™m greatly appreciative folks, thanks for all of the info and happy hunting everyone!����

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread