Any fire grenade experts?

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought two Hardens star fire grenades that still have the contents and one has a crack in the neck that leaked in my backpack at the flea market after I bought it. I'm aware that after a certain point in time these went from containing salt water to containing carbon tetrachloride which is pretty toxic stuff and the liquid form of phosgene gas.I tried to research which particular brands or styles of grenade contain the stuff but to no avail. Does anybody out there in treasure land have any knowledge about this subject? I got the two for $40 which I thought was a screaming deal considering I rarely see one sell for less than $100, I just don't know if it's worth the potentially toxic and carcinogenic mess I have to deal with.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any pictures? Color and condition will figure into trying to place a value on them. The Harden extinguishers are somewhat common as you can see if you visit Glass Works Auctions current sale. There's a slew of 'em in this sale, even six-packs! See what they bring when the auction is over and that should give you a good idea of what they're worth unless you have one in an oddball color.

Last edited:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the OP was looking for a valuation so much as he was wondering if the cracked and leaking one could pose a potential health hazard.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it could

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty sure those early Harden's were salt water, you did good a $40, they sell for a fairly wide range on Ebay...

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s always been my understanding that carbon tet turns to foam when exposed to oxygen and stinks real bad , not sure though , I haven’t broke any of mine .

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they are the common kinda peacock blue ones. I'm leaning more towards them being salt water because they had salt crystal like crust when they dried and the copper wire around the neck turned green. I read that carbon tet is a highly solvent compound which would evaporate pretty quickly and not be too residual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread