New place to dig bottles

CharlesSpurgeon

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I came up on this side of a hill and it is covered with literally glass bottles everywhere. The ones on the surface range from brown clorox to clear medicine to broken cokes ranging from 50s-70s. I tried digging and was curious what to expect. About 18" down I hit a layer of metal cans, oil cans etc and then past that is a layer of orange/tan sand. That's as far as Ive dug. In your experience is this a dump or fill dirt brought in? Do you think there will be stuff under the sandy layer? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it is covered in poison ivy too so you might take precautions unless "you're immune to the stuff" (Addicted to Love:laughing7: )

A bottle probe is your friend in determining the depth of the dump unless you like digging a lot.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've frequently encountered layers of sand used to cap deeper dump layers, and the sand layer can be pretty deep depending on where you dig. Definitely worth sinking a test hole as the earlier layers could be significantly older and better.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck gotta be some keepers

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you could also step off 20 paces and see if that sand layer is localized or everywhere.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid in PA in the early 50's we still used dumps to get rid of the garbage. It was a common thing going back a long ways. We had a farm and the hired hands would dig a hole 8' round and about 5' deep to dump out garbage in. We had one just for bottles and metal and one for other stuff. the other stuff we burned. When they got full we would back fill them in. I could go back there today and I'd know where they were located but I'm not into old bottles. I'd say use a metal detector and when you get a strong/large signal it's probably a dump. I remember finding a really old dump back in the woods by an old foundation. It had all these colored bottles and porcelain pots and pans.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like finding a new dump!

Dug's right about the probe, it'll help you learn more about what's underground without having to wear your back out. And what unclemac said about walking a little ways from the dump and digging a hole to see what the natural undisturbed soil looks like at various depths, that's also great advice.

'Looking forward to seeing what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread