NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome, man. I did the same thing after I first saw a Coster & Coxe many, many years ago. I was still pretty young, had no camera, but was so taken by the bottle that I came home and drew a picture of it, figuring I'd never have the opportunity or means to own one. Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Anytime, chip! Do you know anyone that is respected for their repair work? These aren't the kind of shards that go out to the curb. I wonder if someone out there can bring them back to life, or at least partially.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime, chip! Do you know anyone that is respected for their repair work? These aren't the kind of shards that go out to the curb. I wonder if someone out there can bring them back to life, or at least partially.

I'll be checking into that, but not in the immediate future. I can only stand about a couple of minutes looking in the broke box. I'll start sorting through them eventually.

Let us know how the insurance claim goes. That info could be significant in the future to someone here.

I will, although I hope nobody else needs it, especially to the extent of loss in my case. Couldn't be the third shelf down...Hostetter's, Roback's, etc. with Coke bottles beneath...no, Hell no... had to be the top shelf.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand , I hate that for you. I'd about tossed myself on a bottle shard. Is that a Vaughn's I see in there? It survived?

LOL Rory, you just gave me my first laugh in the wake of this ordeal. What a more suitable way for a bottle collector to just end it all. Death by colored pontiled medicine!

That is a Vaughn's and it was one of several miracles that I was able to pluck from the destruction. On those that didn't get broken, with the exception of a true flea bite (not an ebay flea bite) on the bottom edge of one bottle, every one was left completely unscathed. It just doesn't seem possible. It was an anxious few minutes, knowing that my son and I had to somehow get in the case to save what survived before the rest of the shelves collapsed from the added weight. Believe me, I just wanted to wallow in my misery, but I damn sure didn't want to lose any more than I already had.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
You have to keep your humor or you'll go crazy. This will turn around and you'll get some more rare ones to fill the empty places. I'm sure of that.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been away for a while and just saw this. I’m terribly sorry for your loss and I understand the feelings of guilt and negligence that are going through your head. Don’t let it get you down. You really need to try to get your mind off of these somehow and just try not to think about it.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we do have a glass guy here , he's on vacation now . I'll have him contact you . he put a super rare bottle back together for me last year and did a super job .

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not hindsight, I simply don't trust glass shelves, I'm big on fireplace mantel shelving screwed to 2"X4"'s that are screwed into the studs with 4" screws, I can stand on these. I hope it never happens again my friend, I'm sick just looking at what you lost...

View attachment 1752898

are the jugs held in place with museum wax? i use that with wall mounts even with my "nothing" bottles.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
now you got me buzzing around the house looking at ALL my shelves! lucky for me most of them are thick glass shelves placed into routed out tracks in poplar 1X4's. but the ones that aren't are sitting on PLASTIC brackets. time to upgrade! what a disaster!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be able to fix a couple if they are any with clean breaks and you have all the pieces

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not ignoring any of the offers of repair and such. It'll probably be a while before I get around to that. You can't imagine what it's like looking in that box and handling pieces that not only were once perfect, but some of which were the only known examples in existence.

As an update and as expected, homeowner's will cover zilch, since nothing was scheduled. Since I used to have them displayed at my office, my agent tried to get coverage under my business policy as off-premises storage. Nada. He suggested that I probably will be able to take a capital loss on my taxes, which will be better than nothing. I've had the cabinet 15 years, but I haven't abandoned the idea of making a claim of product liablilty on either the manufacturer or distributor. However things come out, nothing can replace the loss. It's like a real life Humpty Dumpty. Once again folks, I appreciate everyone's words of sympathy and concern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread