High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I noticed the back light on my pint jars warranted a pic. Noticed there was no Mason's jar there and went looking. Found one in a wooden crate in the garage. After cleaning it up I noticed those black specks. Close inspection reviled the two upper ones were bits of iron. The two lower ones were glassed over and did not attract the magnet. Then I noticed what looked like a diggers scratch that ran from bottom to top. The jewelers loupe showed the scratch had tiny bubbles in and along it. Strange and interesting jar.

Attachments

• pint1.JPG
    pint1.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 69
  • pint2.JPG
    pint2.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 62
  • pint3.JPG
    pint3.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 59

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
neat looking jars

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so that "Scratch" is what we call a cord in the glass industry. Usually caused by an imcomplete mix in the melt, or the refractory containing the glass dissolves into it changing the glass and the different/incomplete melt part of the glass gets dragged into the rest of the good glass creating a cord. also the little things in glass are called stones usually a piece of unmelted silica, refractory, iron or what ever else got into the melt.

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tpmetal. nice to know these things have a name.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jars! I love jars.

Here's a jar that I dug, with the strangest glass characteristic I've come across, I'm not sure whether this would be a 'cord' or something else...

DSCF7659.JPG

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice jars! I love jars.

Here's a jar that I dug, with the strangest glass characteristic I've come across, I'm not sure whether this would be a 'cord' or something else...

View attachment 1762859

Your lines look very similar to mine with the bubbles all along it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jars! I love jars.

View attachment 1762859

thats an odd one right there. The shape of yours is what confuses me, never seen cords like that. Cords are called that because of the string like appearence as a result of how they are pulled from the furnace(also often wrapped or in a large curve around the vessel because of gathering the glass(twisting it up on the end of blow pipe). Your's looks almost like someone went into a too hot mold with too hot glass or something and the glass actually stuck and burned the mould a bit? at least thats my best guess, just can't see how that shape would be gathered from a furnace.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an odd one right there. The shape of yours is what confuses me, never seen cords like that. Cords are called that because of the string like appearence as a result of how they are pulled from the furnace(also often wrapped or in a large curve around the vessel because of gathering the glass(twisting it up on the end of blow pipe). Your's looks almost like someone went into a too hot mold with too hot glass or something and the glass actually stuck and burned the mould a bit? at least thats my best guess, just can't see how that shape would be gathered from a furnace.

Yeah, it's a weird one. I originally thought that it was damage, like a giant scratch/scuff mark, but when I got home and cleaned it I realized that it was this sort of graphite/ash-like birth mark. There are no bubbles in there, just these little flakes of whatever it is. My guess is pretty much the same, or that it's mould related anyway. I wonder if there was something in the mould that got burnt to the glass, like a piece of paper or something that somehow found its way in there. No idea!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a half-gallon that a friend let me have for 20 bucks and helping appraise some bottles that he had come across. Another Friday the 13th survivor. No real unusual characteristics like cords, etc., just bubbly and whittly.

mason cross.jpg mason cross1.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's a weird one. I originally thought that it was damage, like a giant scratch/scuff mark, but when I got home and cleaned it I realized that it was this sort of graphite/ash-like birth mark. There are no bubbles in there, just these little flakes of whatever it is. My guess is pretty much the same, or that it's mould related anyway. I wonder if there was something in the mould that got burnt to the glass, like a piece of paper or something that somehow found its way in there. No idea!

Could be something like that, could even be where it stuck to a wood mold. hard to say

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread