Finally I think I found it - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Finally I think I found it

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2012
    Central NC
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks like a great dump!! Nothing like finally finding that spot you've searched and searched for, getting in the ground and pulling out great bottles! What a feeling! Looks like an awesome spot! Keep us posted!!
    devldog and wilcam47 like this.

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    The size of it is very large compared to anything I have every dug before with one possible exception . The first time I ever started digging for old bottles a friend had found an old cellar hole . And it was all grown up with some fairly large trees around it and on it .With those trees was a good amount of poison ivy .At that time I did not get it so I started digging along with the guy that had found the dump to begin with .Well I learned quickly no getting it from brushing against it and digging in it's roots was not the same . We both had a serious case of poison ivy in a few days .On my face, hands, arms and body required a visit to the doctor to clear it up .And put a stop to digging that spot anymore This spot I found simply by riding over it while operating a piece of farm machinery over it .I noticed a good amount of broken pieces of old bottles scattered around many groundhog holes .Without much effort I found about 5 or 6 bottles that where old laying near the holes or just under the surface Fast forward about a dozen years to this summer I relocated the site and have been digging since the end of Oct. I have yet to locate anything really old .But I have not yet gotten to the oldest part of the dump .The area is quite large and I am down about 4 to 5 feet. The broken items are numerous but as I continue to get deeper I am finding larger pieces and small whole bottles mixed in with some larger items .I have moved a lot of dirt and I now realize I will need to move it back further because the area is bigger than I thought to start with .But I am finding items I never had before and I suspect that will go on for a while . This is the find of a life time for me .It may not be as old as what others have dug but for me it is a large dump and it contains the oldest things I ever found .Tomorrow I will be moving more dirt and going full badger as someone suggested earlier
    SanMan, Blak bart and devldog like this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    I have heard people say well is just a hole in the ground .I am getting a hole in the ground for sure Some things just don't make it and some do I had some of each today It is hard to see something I don't have turn out broken but it is fun when you pull out a bottle you never knew exAttachment 1773644isted until a few minutes agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	1773647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	1773648
    NJKLAGT, Blak bart and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    38104 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That sounds like a blast to dig. Good luck keep rippin
    glass half fool and devldog like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    Thanks A2 Yes it has be fun .Every time I go I know I will find a bottle that I never found .And most of the time 3 or 4 . I still have not hit bottom and the broken stuff is more glass than what I removed so far and the pieces are larger Hoping for some older glass but will be happy to just add new items to my collection .Had several nice items last time that where broken but I suspect I will end up with more of them that are not broken . I have health issue that keep me for digging more than an hour or two at a time . And the location is not real close to get to .Add it up and throw in the recent Thanksgiving holiday I have not been able to get there in more than 2 weeks .I t is killing me !!!When I get out I end up wishing I could stay til dark Plus frozen ground could happen any day.Hope that waits a bit longer to start
    devldog likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    A couple of weeks with three or four rainy days followed by three days of lows in the twenties have kept me from returning to digging . I am really getting antsy to find more old bottles that I have not ever found before So far I have at least 25 or more new finds here . I need to remember I first found this spot in 2001 . So with Christmas this week digging will remain on a future list of things to do But I might get out at least once this week
    Blak bart, NJKLAGT and devldog like this.

us
    Dec 2019
    Idaho
    297 times
    Are shards desireable? One dump site i found some bottles that were broke or just pieces.
    devldog likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    4007 times
    Relic Hunting
    Great looking old bottles. Stay at it, and best of luck to you.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    5163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
    Are shards desireable? One dump site i found some bottles that were broke or just pieces.
    Very rarely unless it's a piece off an extremely rare and early bottle and even then, monetary value is minimal. Usually, it's an individual, personal thing whether or not broken bottles are kept.
    wilcam47 likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Great looking old bottles. Stay at it, and best of luck to you.
    Yes it has been a little while since I have been there to dig .The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays plus rainy weather along with some daytime highs in the 20 have just not given me much of a window of oppurtunity to even think about getting there But it keeps eating at me to get back at it before some real winter hits It is about an hour round trip also which means if I don't have much time it is not worth going at all .But it has been the best spot I have ever dug .I have barely started to uncover what I think will become really great items . Some of the pieces and broken glass gives me hope for many great things yet to come In the past I would save some items that where broken or chipped if I thought it was unlikely to find a complete good item just like it later ,Here there is so much to sort through that if it is damaged more than a little I just put it aside .With the idea that I will find a better example later For example I have found 2 Warranted Flasks .I have no idea how many broken parts I have dug but it is a lot . At some point I hope I can pull up a few good ones to even the balance of broken to good ones .Right now I hope I can go yet this week .I think I have some time and the weather will be mild enough to give it a try .If that holds it might be a long day . I mean that in the best possible way IT could be a Happy New Years Day start to 2020

us
    Dec 2019
    Idaho
    297 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    Very rarely unless it's a piece off an extremely rare and early bottle and even then, monetary value is minimal. Usually, it's an individual, personal thing whether or not broken bottles are kept.
    yeah there was some cool colors, but nothing that stood out to me...I still havent dug much on a couple of these sites, now the one site that is closer to me. The property just sold so Im going to have to see if the new owners will let me dig or if they are going to dig it. They may be interested but who knows, Im trying to get to know them a little before asking.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    Weather for Thur. this week is 51 for a high and 40 for a low . The ground is wet but I think it will be a day to try to get some digging done The last time I was there was around Nov 21 I think . As I remember I had about 90 minutes before I needed to return home . If I can do that again I will be OK with that I had some good ones and at least as many that if I can find ones like them that are unbroken will be some great additions to my collection . Hope to have something really exciting to start a new year
    wilcam47 likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    It was muddy and heavy wet ground where the words of the day . I did not find a lot of things today that where in good condition but I found some interesting things. Because I was there a little longer than usual the property owner came out to be sure I was doing OK .That works for me .With my medical issues I am glad to have someone keeping one eye open for my well being I got home late and was beat .Cleaned up ate supper and now am awake for a little bit Will add a few picture tomorrow THANKS

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    The new year is off to a crazy start .Mostly not good Anyway I spent time digging Thur .Jan 2nd 2020 It was muddy at some places and it made it hard to free up the dirt and worse for an old man to get it out of the hole I have been working on for 3 plus months now I have not even made a dent in what to remove next .Anyway as I was getting ready to call it quits for the day I managed to find a few keepers plus 2 that I hope I can locate a good one like them .I have a larger version of the Pluto Water and the brown flask is chipped but not too bad .And those Schmidt's Bottling .I have about 15 of them several different versions The one with the broken neck is smaller and the lettering stands out nicely I t is winter so who knows when I will back againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1880.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	1786950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	1786951

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    It has been nearly 2 months since I have been able to dig at this site We have had a mild winter with just a few small snow events .Next week ,even with Feb having 29 days this year Feb will be over .I has been cloudy a lot but only small amounts of precip .The ground it not frozen more than and inch or so deep some a couple of sunny days is all that is required for me to get serious about finding out what is in this spot .My hope is if I have no serious interruptions I will be having some time early next week to do some dirt moving and I hope to find some of the oldest bottles I ever located . So far I do not have anything older than the late 1890's . My hope is I can go back maybe 20 more years or if I get lucky maybe into the 1860's era. So I am ready for sunshine and warming temps and hurry up spring Hope to be able to post a few pictures of bottles I found in 2020

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links