Finally I think I found it

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very rarely unless it's a piece off an extremely rare and early bottle and even then, monetary value is minimal. Usually, it's an individual, personal thing whether or not broken bottles are kept.

yeah there was some cool colors, but nothing that stood out to me...I still havent dug much on a couple of these sites, now the one site that is closer to me. The property just sold so Im going to have to see if the new owners will let me dig or if they are going to dig it. They may be interested but who knows, Im trying to get to know them a little before asking.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather for Thur. this week is 51 for a high and 40 for a low . The ground is wet but I think it will be a day to try to get some digging done The last time I was there was around Nov 21 I think . As I remember I had about 90 minutes before I needed to return home . If I can do that again I will be OK with that I had some good ones and at least as many that if I can find ones like them that are unbroken will be some great additions to my collection . Hope to have something really exciting to start a new year

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was muddy and heavy wet ground where the words of the day . I did not find a lot of things today that where in good condition but I found some interesting things. Because I was there a little longer than usual the property owner came out to be sure I was doing OK .That works for me .With my medical issues I am glad to have someone keeping one eye open for my well being I got home late and was beat .Cleaned up ate supper and now am awake for a little bit Will add a few picture tomorrow THANKS

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new year is off to a crazy start .Mostly not good Anyway I spent time digging Thur .Jan 2nd 2020 It was muddy at some places and it made it hard to free up the dirt and worse for an old man to get it out of the hole I have been working on for 3 plus months now I have not even made a dent in what to remove next .Anyway as I was getting ready to call it quits for the day I managed to find a few keepers plus 2 that I hope I can locate a good one like them .I have a larger version of the Pluto Water and the brown flask is chipped but not too bad .And those Schmidt's Bottling .I have about 15 of them several different versions The one with the broken neck is smaller and the lettering stands out nicely I t is winter so who knows when I will back again IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1882.JPG

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been nearly 2 months since I have been able to dig at this site We have had a mild winter with just a few small snow events .Next week ,even with Feb having 29 days this year Feb will be over .I has been cloudy a lot but only small amounts of precip .The ground it not frozen more than and inch or so deep some a couple of sunny days is all that is required for me to get serious about finding out what is in this spot .My hope is if I have no serious interruptions I will be having some time early next week to do some dirt moving and I hope to find some of the oldest bottles I ever located . So far I do not have anything older than the late 1890's . My hope is I can go back maybe 20 more years or if I get lucky maybe into the 1860's era. So I am ready for sunshine and warming temps and hurry up spring Hope to be able to post a few pictures of bottles I found in 2020

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather for tomorrow is partly cloudy with highs near 60 .I am going to see if things are dried out enough to do some digging .The last time I was there on 1/2/20 .It was wet and muddy and I did not make a lot of progress .As I was wrapping up for the day I did find a few good ones for my collection .My hope is that I can find a spot that is dry enough that I can move dirt and not mud If all goes well I will be spending a lot of time over the next 2 months at the spot I have been thinking about for about 20 years I have already found so many bottles I never seen before to the point that that I have re evaluated what I keep and what I do not keep.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a nice afternoon but I was late getting started I found a good number of items .But the dirt in the hole I am making was still wet I was there longer than I intended to stay The next 2 days weather forecast is for rain so that pretty much rules out anymore digging this week I have included a couple of pictures .The next time I post I will have more details and a question for those of you that know a lot more about this bottle digging than I do . IMG_0253.jpg IMG_0263.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so ready to hit my creek, but the rain's been coming in piles lately. The water had just gotten down and nearly clear enough to see, and it starts raining again today with a forecast of 4 to 5 inches through Thursday. It'll get right one day and I'll be sooo in it...

Hope springs eternal...

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so ready to hit my creek, but the rain's been coming in piles lately. The water had just gotten down and nearly clear enough to see, and it starts raining again today with a forecast of 4 to 5 inches through Thursday. It'll get right one day and I'll be sooo in it...

Hope springs eternal...

Believe it or not ,I was awake during the night thinking about what I would find yesterday . I guess it is good to have something that makes us want to get out of bed and keep going

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Yesterday was an almost perfect day to dig .I got a late start so when I got there I was rushing to get started. I took a View attachment 1807531 couple pictures of what it looks like right now .it covers a large area and most of the best bottles are down 3 to 4 feet . It was slow to start but I was finding items all along View attachment 1807532 .After I had stayed beyond the time I was to head for home I found another large aqua bottle to match one I had found earlier .Along with the Mishler"s bottle they all have DRS S B &H embossed on them . My question for what I found yesterday is; can anyone give me any info concerning the bottoms I found to 2 broken items. I think they are older than what I have already found but not sure how much older IMG_0264.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the ones embossed "Drs. S.B. & H." are Peruna Tonic bottles. Should be "P.R." embossed beneath that. The broken shard on the left is from a case gin. I can't make out what's embossed on the one on the right.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandchip Thanks for the first one .So that time period would be 1870 something until about 1903 or so .The other one looks like a six point star It reminds me of the symbol that in on the bottom of bottles produced by San Francisco &Pacific Glass except there's has 8 points IMG_0271.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the one I believe is a case gin. I was wondering what the round example read on the bottom. This reminds me of Rexkwondo on Napoleon Dynamite, "Grab my arm. Other arm. My other arm!"

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the ones embossed "Drs. S.B. & H." are Peruna Tonic bottles. Should be "P.R." embossed beneath that. The broken shard on the left is from a case gin. I can't make out what's embossed on the one on the right.

Sandchip I apologize I just now realized that you wanted more info on the round broken piece from a bottom of a bottle .As best as I can tell it is embossed with the following DR J G B SIEGERT & H I JOS . and in the very center looks like 2 small dots

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was digging I found a small medicine bottle the has Extract of Smart Weed embossed on the front of it . View attachment 1809774 I have a lot more area to uncover so I guess time will tell if the Extract of Smart Weed could be a help to me .Thanks for looking !!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Siegert bottle held Angostura Bitters. He must've done quite well, because like Hostetters, his bottles are very common. I believe the fact that "Bitters" isn't embossed in the glass tends to keep them from bringing much money. There are some pictures of labeled examples online and are nice looking bottles.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sandchip .Angostura Bitters is something I never heard of before .I am beginning to get a picture of a consistent use of medicinal alcohol by the people that used this spot to get rid of the empties .I have done a great deal of research on my family history .And at times the facts I found where less than flattering. And some one from my family told me that every one had things about them that they preferred to keep private .My thought is that many of those people came to America for religious freedom but they may not have always been all that religious Do you have any info about what time period the Angostura bottles that I found a piece of would have been in use .One of the crown tops I found yesterday was a Finks Brewing CO. from Harrisburg .They where a fairly large brewery during the late 1800's It was purchased by Henry Fink and a partner named Christian Boyer in 1862 Henry became full owner in 1875 .In 1881 it reportedtly made 20,000 barrels of beer Thanks for the Angostura info That becomes one more piece of the puzzle

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty seven years ago on the weekend of March 12 to March 14 1993; the east coast of the US had what was called The Blizzard of the Century .Locally we had 18 inches of snow along with 20 to 30 mph winds with gust up to 50 mph. So yesterday's partly sunny and mid 50's was a pleasant day to dig dirt and not feet of snow .I only had a short time that I could spend but decided to see what I might find . It was not a great day as far as amount of items I located but one item was a nice addition to my recent finds . I was able to pull an amber blob top out from under about two feet of dirt .It is only the second blob top I have of that color in my collection. And additionally I have recover three clear blob tops of the same company from this site during previous digs .So I arrived home ahead of my original planned time to return and I had yet another first for me. IMG_0311.JPG Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions