glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This flask is awesome! This must be your earliest and most significant find from this site. I guess it's a man tap dancing? I've never seen this flask before. I'd guess 1860s. Can we see a pic of the base?
There is a lot I DON'T about old bottles But this one looks old .The top the bottom the panel where the Balt MD is stamped When siting upright it does not sit level .I will add more pictures Tha IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0708 (1).JPG View attachment IMG_0712.jpg View attachment IMG_0712.jpg nks

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked and looked...cant find it !!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, got one. It is a "dancing sailor" / "banjo player" flask. Awesome! Here's one in a different colour:

https://www.hecklerauction.com/auctions/167/view/?lot=49

NJKLAGT Earlier you posted this flask is awesome. Now you are awesome !!!!!.As I said I DON'T know much about old bottles But I can tell you the chance of me ever figuring out what it was;was less than the chance of finding it to begin with. It was there in the dirt plain to see as I scratched away with my three prong garden tool . The last 2 or 3 times out I did not locate many items .But on Thurs .morning I was only there about 10 minutes when I found it . And I am good at getting ahead of myself .So I am not 100 percent positive that it is the same thing except the color but it sure looks like it is .If indeed it is a different color variation on the one you located that makes it more fascinating .This one was down about 4 feet and I am just now after all the times i have been out here digging getting down to 4 feet . I do not have any idea but I am guessing it is at least another 1 or 2 feet deeper. I thought when I started digging last Oct that this was going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity to locate some really cool stuff Maybe be this is it after all Thank you very much NJKAGT NOW YOU ARE AWESOME View attachment IMG_0743.jpg View attachment IMG_0743.jpg View attachment IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0740.JPG TOO

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it's just an ID, you earned it! Hopefully you're in an older layer and that there are more. If you didn't disturb the spot too too much, get a few pics of the immediately surrounding soil and shards of glass if any. It could be a "late throw", or you might just be near a real jackpot!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJKLAGT Earlier you posted this flask is awesome. Now you are awesome !!!!!.As I said I DON'T know much about old bottles But I can tell you the chance of me ever figuring out what it was;was less than the chance of finding it to begin with. It was there in the dirt plain to see as I scratched away with my three prong garden tool . The last 2 or 3 times out I did not locate many items .But on Thurs .morning I was only there about 10 minutes when I found it . And I am good at getting ahead of myself .So I am not 100 percent positive that it is the same thing except the color but it sure looks like it is .If indeed it is a different color variation on the one you located that makes it more fascinating .This one was down about 4 feet and I am just now after all the times i have been out here digging getting down to 4 feet . I do not have any idea but I am guessing it is at least another 1 or 2 feet deeper. I thought when I started digging last Oct that this was going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity to locate some really cool stuff Maybe be this is it after all Thank you very much NJKAGT NOW YOU ARE AWESOME View attachment 1844686 View attachment 1844686 View attachment 1844686 View attachment 1844687 TOO

I thought that might be a good one...great score...your persistence is starting to pay off nicely !!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it's just an ID, you earned it! Hopefully you're in an older layer and that there are more. If you didn't disturb the spot too too much, get a few pics of the immediately surrounding soil and shards of glass if any. It could be a "late throw", or you might just be near a real jackpot!
For you it may be just an ID . For me it is the find of a lifetime
Also remember I had a chance to dig this spot 10 years ago .But at the time I was too busy with other things that where claiming my time . After that I developed health issues that limited me from digging more than just very short amounts of time.And than the owner sold the property and moved out of state.. I talked to the prior owner's brother that verified his phone #was still the same as it was .I called the former owner and he in turn spoke to the present owner .This was a big plus in me getting permission to dig again ,After meeting with the new owner at my request and making sure I was willing to do my best to treat his property with respect I was able to start digging in Oct 2019 .SO it could have gone wrong a couple times but it still worked our.Many of you on this forum helped me when I was showing how little I knew With this find what I knew was it was older than anything else I had gotten from this site .But I had no idea where to find proof of that .you where back in a short time with some answers .About a year ago you posted on a thread "just post something" that finding a Warranted Flask would be on your bucket list .I don't have a list .And that is because I have no idea what is out there.You guys that have spent years learning help me find things Sothanks to all of you that have made it easier for me to learn .ALL of you are awesome!!!!!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you it may be just an ID . For me it is the find of a lifetime
Also remember I had a chance to dig this spot 10 years ago .But at the time I was too busy with other things that where claiming my time . After that I developed health issues that limited me from digging more than just very short amounts of time.And than the owner sold the property and moved out of state.. I talked to the prior owner's brother that verified his phone #was still the same as it was .I called the former owner and he in turn spoke to the present owner .This was a big plus in me getting permission to dig again ,After meeting with the new owner at my request and making sure I was willing to do my best to treat his property with respect I was able to start digging in Oct 2019 .SO it could have gone wrong a couple times but it still worked our.Many of you on this forum helped me when I was showing how little I knew With this find what I knew was it was older than anything else I had gotten from this site .But I had no idea where to find proof of that .you where back in a short time with some answers .About a year ago you posted on a thread "just post something" that finding a Warranted Flask would be on your bucket list .I don't have a list .And that is because I have no idea what is out there.You guys that have spent years learning help me find things Sothanks to all of you that have made it easier for me to learn .ALL of you are awesome!!!!!

It better darn be the find of a lifetime, I'm still after my first pontil! Haha

This glass forum is the place to be, bunch of nice helpful people. Even if I find something made of metal or stone, I've gotta post it here, this is like home base.

Health and happiness to you, and more nice bottles of course!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a great flask. Nice find

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK A hand full of days have gone by since my last digging activity The last dig produced a hot find . Yesterday it was back to a few more bottles found but where in keeping with those I have found here before I located 2 crown top soda /beer.a small Castoria and a more modern whiskey bottle The Schmidt Bottling CO bottles are the most often found bottle in this site I must have 2 dozen or more of various variations of this bottle .And probably had at least that many that where broken but only into a few pieces ,The heat sent me home before I wanted to go But I should have been leaving about the time I arrived to avoid the 90 plus temps we reached in the early afternoon Since my goal is finding bottles and not having a heat stroke in the process the late morning time is not when i should be there I was expecting. to be a lot farther along with the digging by now IMG_0753.JPG .Here is a pic of the bottles recovered on Thur

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the mug bases! Did you end up investigating the specific spot that produced the flask? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I determined whether or not that was a late throw.

Pretty hot out here too, and dryyy, the clay soil is hard as rock.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the mug bases! Did you end up investigating the specific spot that produced the flask? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I determined whether or not that was a late throw.

Pretty hot out here too, and dryyy, the clay soil is hard as rock.
Njklagt Yes I took your advice as far as checking out the immediate surrounding area First I took a probe and started trying to see what kind of soils might be farther down Some places it went down 2 foot without much effort In the general area the soil is much finer and more loose There was some broken glass and pottery there . But nothing that was noteworthy However it was for sure a change in soil types .Again there is so much dirt to move that a hour of digging does not reveal much new territory Plus an hour of shoveling dirt back just to have a place to put the dirt I am taking out leaves me with very new ground uncovered I need a trac hoe and several people just pulling loose dirt out and checking for new pieces of glass showing as we go . Another thing that occurred to me about the throw back idea is First of all the bottle has no chips scratches cracks etc that I can see No blemishes of any kind anywhere If it had been in circulation or used even occasionally I would think it would be nicked up some And the spot where I found it was at the deepest place in the whole pit that I had dug so far And I had just started digging there when I found it within about 10 minutes PERHAPS ALL OF THAT IS JUST CHANCE But I DOUBT IT The day I found there flask I also found the neck of a small medicine bottle that was Emerald green very nearby .From what I understand that color is quite rare also The hot weather is just knocking me over pretty fast .After 30 to 45 minutes it really has me beat up . It is just over an hours travel time round trip . I don't care to use a hour on the road to dig and hour .But that turns out to often be . I have been on this spot for a while now The first time I learned of it was 2000/01/02 The person that owned the property than said he had no knowledge of any dump being there He had lived in the area all his life and had no remembrance View attachment IMG_0728 (1).jpg of it being there And for the record I have not been sleeping nights If all I find from here on is a few blob tops ,some more crown tops an maybe another flask of some kind I will be as pleased as possible .Up to this point I have had a chance to live any bottle diggers dream .I do get it that any one that finds a bottle that has an open pontil has found a bottle not many people ever get a chance at

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The green bottle top is most likely that of a G.W. Merchant Gargling Oil from Lockport, New York. Yours looks like the small "tombstone" variety. This wasn't their only colour, but Lockport Glassworks bottles, especially the Merchants, are well known for this green, which has come to be referred to as "Lockport green".

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for more info Now if I can find one I can tell everyone all about it Like I might even know what I was talking about . Maybe there is a better chance I will find a 5 gallon crock filled to the brim with $5.0 gold pieces .Again Thanks for all the info you have added to this thread

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The green bottle top is most likely that of a G.W. Merchant Gargling Oil from Lockport, New York. Yours looks like the small "tombstone" variety. This wasn't their only colour, but Lockport Glassworks bottles, especially the Merchants, are well known for this green, which has come to be referred to as "Lockport green".

Man, Lockport Green is like my favorite color! I found the bottom half of one while detecting a few months ago, I'm not sure if I broke it or it was already broken but I would have been real mad if I broke it. I'm not sure if anyone else other than NJKLAGT has commented on it yet but G.W. Merchants are pretty old so you could be on a good spot...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread