glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the last two years I have posted about an old dump/cellar hole that I had located about 10 years ago but did not have much time to dig at that time .The property changed hands and it took a while until I gained permission from the new owner .Last summer I looked several times without success and until today it was a repeat of last summer .I was wrapping up for today when I stumbled on it . The picture is of pieces that where on the surface or an inch or so deep IMG_1523.JPG .The area has several ground hog holes all of which have pieces scattered in front of them .I hope as I get down 6 to 10 inches I will find intact items .Stay tuned over the next week or so

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, who wouldn't dig that? Nice shards. Can't wait to see what you find!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Those pieces look promising. Best of luck on your dig.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging by those neck pieces, and the blue jar, late 1800's to at least the 1920's. Gotta go badger on that spot now!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a picture of a flask along with two other bottles in Sandchip"s Just Post Something on IMG_1531.JPG 7/22/19 The flask in the middle of the left picture was found at this site the day I first found the spot more than 10 years ago nowThe broken piece on the right in the picture is a piece I picked up yesterday. Th other picture is a from about 15 yards away the
dark spot on the lower right corner is my shadow

Last edited:

Zarpman

Greenie
Oct 10, 2019
Melbourne,fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find any bottles with crossbones on them? Years ago I was told poison was sold in glass bottles and they are worth a few bucks to the antique dealers. Good Luck Zarpman

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet but I only had time to look for anything near the surface and a few inches deep .From what I can tell it is a rather large area .I do not want to star IMG_1521.jpg t piling ground on a spot that I end up wanting to dig later I plan to work around the several ground hog holes to see if I can find anything along the sides of the holes they made Here is a spot with a hole The bucket is in the hole every hog hole is littered with glass in front of it .Notice the horse shoe laying by the bucket

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Now I would be all over that like a stinky shirt on a 4th quarter football player in 90 degree hit. If that sets the picture good for ya! Lol. Get after it ASAP. I wanna see some good ones popping out of that place. Good luck. Jgas.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I would be all over that like a stinky shirt on a 4th quarter football player in 90 degree hit. If that sets the picture good for ya! Lol. Get after it ASAP. I wanna see some good ones popping out of that place. Good luck. Jgas.

jgas That is high praise coming from you I always am in amazement of some of the items you have found during the two plus years I have bee a member of TNet .I hope there is some thing there that makes it worth finding .Believe me I have spent a lot of time thinking and looking for that spot .I have health issues that limit how much time I can be there digging Plus this coming week is the mentored youth deer season in PA Four other adults and myself have 4 kids under 16 that we have plans to take deer hunting I have had to cut back on most of my hobbies but I have a few that even at a reduced amount are priceless to me If I could I would have been there all day today but .I found it the first time around 2001 or 2002 .A few more days hopefully will not matter.One small piece had the doctors name embossed on it He was from Maryland I have been trouble posting pictures I am going to try to show a picture of what the area looks like .It is about 50 acres of what you w IMG_1510re.JPG ill see if the picture comes through

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my first digging day .I found 3 bottles that where intact but the best one a boob top has cracks in it ,a small brown bottle and some kind of Heinz bottle ,another horse shoe ,that makes 4 so far and a metal plate that has a name of the company that made it on it . I spend a good amount of time just removing the Poke Berry weeds that are growing all around the area . In some areas I am down 2 feet and still finding broken glass and pottery .But if it is a cellar 2 feet is hardly even a start .There was a lot more broken tops from old soda or beer bottles and I did find one porcelian stopper. Not sure when I will get back .I have other things planned for the end of the week and this is not going anywhere so I will need to see how it works into my schedule

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raining today so I thought I would post a pic from yesterday .Not much to show but it appears that the Heinz bottle is from the late 1880's until 1905.So not old
but still about 100 years .

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow. Big enough place to use a bob cat if you could do that. Peel off a layer or two. That would be a blast to dig there. Ya never know what might pop up. Hopefully your health is good and you can get some good stuff. Keep us posted. Jgas

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be nice to transport dirt back away as it was being taken off the top . It seems like a lot of the better pieces of broken glass are concentrated in a small area .It also has spots that appear to have a lot of small size flat stones .Like they brought in fill ground to level off the spot even with the surrounding area .I remember from years ago there was an obvious lot spot where the dump is.Like it had sunken in And a lot more broken pottery than I ever found in a farm dump also . The problem with the bob cat is I would certainly break all the best items that might be there and be left with the new more common stuff. I found 3 bottles that I are intact so far .And all are items I never found before .So I am hoping at some point I get to the actual bottle part of the dump . It appears that as time goes by the ground hog activity is what is bringing the bottles to the surface .I figure I have about 6 or so weeks until the ground starts freezing here .But if I am where the glass is the frozen ground should not totally stop me from looking. Now that the heat is over as far as the temps I will make more head way than when I was roaming around in 6 foot tall switch grass and taller weeds looking for a spot that the last time I seen it was bare dirt . It might be a bust or it might be the best spot I ever found .But I found it and I hope it is what I thought it would be Thanks for the encouragement . Hope to get there again tomorow

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second test hole about 3 feet deep finding more pieces and bigger pieces. Broke my shovel handle .Next time will be my third time of actual digging .Second test hole is 8 feet away and was getting more pieces as I went . Next time should yield more info one way or the other. View attachment IMG_1648.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of today 10/25/19 I can now say I have found it . And it is beyond what I expected. About 2 hours of digging today got an assortment in size, color, location and most likely the best single day of digging I ever had . Based on the broken parts scattered about the front of the ground hog holes I had high expectations .I am already sure those will be exceed View attachment 1765351 ed in short order .I was going to post this on Today's Finds . But all you faithful bottle diggers kept reading my post about this missing dump since I started posting about it over a year ago. There where several people that helped make it possible to get access to the property . With out their help it would not be happening Here are some pictures from today View attachment IMG_1675.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are 2 more pictures from my Fri. dig .I had plans for Sat and it is raining right now .I plan to spend at least 2 and hopefully more hours digging on Mon. I found 3 different types of Schmidt's Bottling Works A Keller Strauss Distillery Kansas City MO . A J Walker Vinegar Bitters bottle and a dozen smaller assortment of items .It looks like I am just getting to the place where the glass will be the primary item in the dump It is a large area and I am already finding items that day back to 1870 /1880 time frame IMG_1661.jpg View attachment IMG_1673.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work.....congrats, your determination and persistence has paid off. Cant wait to see some more.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few rain days this week left us with about 3 inches of rain .I got back to digging today late in the afternoon .A four foot deep hole and that much rain are not a recipe for easy digging .It was a slow go but I found a couple items again today that I have never dug before .By now I am positive this is what I thought it was and more .Mot of my previous finds are late 1880's and newer .I think I have a couple that are older so far and I have barely open up a decent hole to work in . I included a picture .They are still i need of cleaning and the middle one has a broken top .Which is a bummer for me because that is one of the nicest bottle I ever found .Well it is a big site so maybe I will find another that is complete .Than IMG_1731.JPG ks for looking

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going. You'll probably find another Hood's. Oddly enough, the only two I have I found in two different attics. One has a tooled top and the other has a nice applied top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread