what is this one?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i know I should know but i just can't place this one...any ideas?

GetAttachmentThumbnail

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
dang it let me try again!

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
can you see the image now?

Attachments

• bottle.jpg
    bottle.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 120

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give us a straight-on shot of it standing up?

Zippidy~Do~Daa

Aug 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh look at that... that's a nice find. I don't know what it is...but, it's a gem.

Sorry I don't know the info...but happy to admire it.:)

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of thinking olive oil myself.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely olive oil (could have also been this dressing or that vinaigrette, but we're splitting hairs at that point).

This one's bugging me only because I can't tell if it's old or not, and I want to see a better picture of the top. It looks blown from here but maybe it's got one of those weird machine things going on upstairs, can't tell, it's not in focus. The glass also looks extremely clean and shiny and modern - is that condensation from having just cleaned the bottle, or is it sickness in the glass? Is it a dug bottle? WE NEED MORE DATA.

I made this quick illustration not just for unclemac. If you're submitting a photo to ask a question, or listing something online for sale, I really do hope that this helps everyone take pictures more effectively. Whether it's your film camera, your phone, or your own eyeballs, this is a universal principle!

NJ

focus.jpg

edit: not suggesting that this is the "right" way to take pictures or anything, just the way to get the most of the bottle in focus with the least amount of distortion

Last edited:
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i don't have access to it right now so i can't take a pic but i can tell you i picked it up in a dirt/dust filled box of old bottles, the rest of which were typical 1880's aquas with well know and common types like "Davis pain killer" and "Pond elixir"....all for 10 bucks. The seam does not extend through the lip, but the punt in the bottom seems odd for this type, but then again the old olive oils seem to have that as well.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I can't even see a seam from here. And it does have those concentric rings consistent with a turn-moulded bottle. To me it looks turned. This one's irking me a bit, I really want to determine whether this one's old or not, because for whatever reason it's not so obvious, it's a tricky one.

When you get a chance, if you could get a head-on picture of the top, base, heel, and any seam if there is a seam, that'd be awesome. Also, is it dust, condensation, or haze/sickness that is giving it that cloudy appearance?

Your countertop is beautiful by the way!

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Hmm, I can't even see a seam from here. And it does have those concentric rings consistent with a turn-moulded bottle. To me it looks turned. This one's irking me a bit, I really want to determine whether this one's old or not, because for whatever reason it's not so obvious, it's a tricky one.

When you get a chance, if you could get a head-on picture of the top, base, heel, and any seam if there is a seam, that'd be awesome. Also, is it dust, condensation, or haze/sickness that is giving it that cloudy appearance?

just washed...so still moist. the counter-top is crushed glass in a matrix...great for a beach glass collector!

Your countertop is beautiful by the way!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a cool bottle either way

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread