Local Hutchinsons I've found

bottles123

Nov 9, 2019
N.Y.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's some local Hutchinsons I've dug. These were all dug on the same day right next to each other.

20191210_021433.jpg

This one's in the best condition. Great color, too

20191210_021447.jpg

Still need to do a little cleaning on this one

20191210_021503.jpg

Back of the lip of this one is busted, unfortunately. I have the glass that came off so maybe I'll do a repair at some point

20191210_021515.jpg

This one I bought at an estate sale. I'm not sure if it's actually a hutch; it looks like almost a hybrid between a hutch body and period blob top

20191214_024619.jpg

BONUS: Here's a local blob. In great condition besides the flash up top. Still needs cleaning.

Thanks for reading! If you've got any nice local hutchs from Long Island or New York (or anywhere, really) I'd love to see them below.

Attachments

• 20191210_021433.jpg
    20191210_021433.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 45

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going through a serious bottle digging drought, so it was great seeing that you are doing well.
Good stuff, keep it up!
Carl

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see the Levin & Sons, there are also bottles where there is no ampersand and they are just embossed "H. Levin's Sons". I have the same variant hutch you found but it is cracked bad at the base, and I have a 2nd variant as shown, neither is very common. If your Levin & Sons is ever available I might be interested, nice dig...

$1 1aa11a11a1aa1.JPG

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice bottles! Hutches are very rare in my area. The only ones I have found intact are all slicks. Your top one looks like a blob-hutch (Blob applied and formed over the neck) as opposed to the entire top being formed from the remaining neck.

You last bottle isnt a hutch, likely just a blob-top corker. The neck is far too long to have used the Hutchinson sealing system.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice bottles! Hutches are very rare in my area. The only ones I have found intact are all slicks. Your top one looks like a blob-hutch (Blob applied and formed over the neck) as opposed to the entire top being formed from the remaining neck.

You last bottle isnt a hutch, likely just a blob-top corker. The neck is far too long to have used the Hutchinson sealing system.
His last "hutch" more than likely was a Putnam stopper bottle as you suggest, however they made hutchinson style stoppers in varying lengths, some of them were two pieces linked together for bottles with longer necks. They were produced by other companies as an improvement on Hutchinson's original patent, but very few were successful. Numerous styles for bottles with longer necks can be found in the links on this page from Hutchbook...

http://hutchbook.com/Industry History/default.htm#Stopper_Patents

OP
OP
B

bottles123

Nov 9, 2019
N.Y.
Primary Interest:
Other
His last "hutch" more than likely was a Putnam stopper bottle as you suggest, however they made hutchinson style stoppers in varying lengths, some of them were two pieces linked together for bottles with longer necks. They were produced by other companies as an improvement on Hutchinson's original patent, but very few were successful. Numerous styles for bottles with longer necks can be found in the links on this page from Hutchbook...

http://hutchbook.com/Industry History/default.htm#Stopper_Patents

Thanks for the info. If I find another/other Levins, I'll let you know about any dupes up for grabs

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds those will display very nicely

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread