Second to last dig of the decade!

bottles123

Nov 9, 2019
N.Y.
Primary Interest:
Other
This was the worst dig I've had in terms of criers. Tons of pieces of great bottles, some of which I brought back to show you fine folks.

20191222_194850.jpg

The two bottles on the left I've never seen and can't find anything on online. The P. L. Conlon is in 3 pieces, and is missing a piece of the shoulder in the back. The J. N. Burr I found two examples of that I was hoping to Frankenstein together. I have no experience with repairing, so if anyone has any advice on how to chip and attach the two pieces please message me. The Feigenspan and Co is a fairly common bottle, but still would've been nice to have whole. The bottle on the far right I was hoping someone here could tell me about. It's three piece mold with that grows in circumference from base to shoulder, and I've never seen anything like it before.

20191222_193510.jpg

This one really hurt. Top half of a Willibald Kuebler bottle. Looks like an 1880s bottle to me, but could be late 1870s? The company originally manufactured squats, so this is probably from whatever time the majority of industry began to switch to taller bottles. If I find a whole example, it would easily be my oldest and possibly my best find. There's still plenty dump left to dig, so hopefully this is a promise of things to come. On to more successful finds.

20191222_204207.jpg

Two Henschel Blobs. S. Henschel seems to of been pretty successful locally. I have another bottle with his name from Port Jefferson. It's interesting to me that the one on the right says Kings Park Hotel. Maybe it was made for a beverage only available at that establishment? I think he had a son or relative continue his business, as I found a ABM crown slug plate marked with "S." Henschel once in the forest.

20191222_193851.jpg

Not quite sure what these types of bottles are. I suspect medicine or medicinal alcohol. I find tons of them in various shades. The older blue one on the right has "360" on the bottom.

20191222_194044.jpg

20191222_194112.jpg

20191222_194122.jpg

This was my favorite find of the day. I've found at least a dozen of the cone bottoms of this type of old bottle at my site over the past 6 months, but never an unbroken bottle. This ones in great shape. Super cool lip. Not sure how old; maybe 1880s? I'm sure someone on here will know better than I.

20191222_194517.jpg

Here's some less interesting stuff I didn't think warranted individual pictures. An ABM Otto Huber Bottle (fun fact, one of these was the first bottle I ever dug), a blank blob, a nice jar, a nice R. W. Robinsons, A Gulden mustard jar, an Excelsior Mustard Mills cone, and a Vaseline jar. Everything here except the Robinsons I've already found before.

20191222_203618.jpg

As we finish out the year, this is how my main display looks. Definitely need a larger and better medium (the pickle bottles on their sides is a crime), but not bad for half a year of collecting. All of this was dug from my main hole.

20191222_203628.jpg

This is my spillover. Lots dug and bought, some gifted, some traded or generally found. Some definitely deserves a place in the main display. Other stuff is headed for the can.

Anywho, it's been a great year. I hope you're all enjoying the holidays and have had a successful decade in terms of bottles and glass. Thanks for all the entertaining and educational posts. I'm headed out for the last time until the spring tomorrow; hopefully I find some decent stuff to show you all.

Cheers

Last edited:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you're in a nice big dump, lots of great intact finds!

The tall bottles with the pointy oil finish are usually called "ammonia" flasks, but bluing, turpentine, motor oil, alcohol, etc. have all been found in those bottles, bottles were reused a lot. Here's a cool photo with a bunch of bottles in a store, some with labels over top of labels, some that clearly do not contain their original contents.

edit: and your bottle with the kick-up base is a bordeaux type wine bottle, probably made between 1890 and 1915, given the age context of your other finds.

bottleshop.jpg

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The hotel bottle is the best of the lot in my opinion, great finds...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful collection of finds! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a cool collection of old bottles most dumps I find they are all broke same with any old China

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread