sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my kids were young, I made each of them a box for their toys that they could slide under their beds. We were really cramped for space in those days. I cut one of my earliest signs that I had hung on to for the bottoms and some scrap 1 bys for the sides. I was rummaging through the cowbarn the other day, cleaning stuff out and drug them out to the burn pile and got one of those ideas of mine and took one on the the shop. I cleaned it up, painted the out-sides white, the in-sides flat black, and the edges I stained and varnished. Drilled shelf support holes and had some 1/2" glass shelves cut. Good gosh almighty, what the shelves with polished edges cost would've bought a really nice bottle, but I like the look so the hell with it. I put it on the wall in my office so I can enjoy my crown tops, etc. while I'm working.

shelf.jpg shelf1.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it, being 100% honest the background is very distracting and draws my attention completely away from the bottles. I'd personally go with a white background, but you do what you like because my opinion and $5.85 will get you a frappacinno at Starbucks... lol

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, being 100% honest the background is very distracting and draws my attention completely away from the bottles. I'd personally go with a white background, but you do what you like because my opinion and $5.85 will get you a frappacinno at Starbucks... lol

Jim, you know I appreciate your honesty and knew going in that would be an issue concerning the readability of the embossing, but there are very few examples of my hand lettering days left, so it's sort of a dual purpose thing, to not only display bottles, but also some of my early sign work (which admittedly was damn amateurish back then, but I had to start somewhere!).

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great as long as you enjoy it. Fine job good to enjoy the things we work so hard to find. Tommy

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, you know I appreciate your honesty and knew going in that would be an issue concerning the readability of the embossing, but there are very few examples of my hand lettering days left, so it's sort of a dual purpose thing, to not only display bottles, but also some of my early sign work (which admittedly was damn amateurish back then, but I had to start somewhere!).
Well that changes everything, and as the friend of a World Renowned pin-stripe artist and sign guy who has his own line of brushes I get it, please enjoy the bottles and the art... :hello2:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I think it turned into a nice display case . It is what you came up with so it is what you went with . My guess is you will enjoy it for a long time .I like taking things that have been put aside and the new catch word is repurpose them into something else . One of my more recent projects was taking an old wooden door ,cutting it in half and putting shelves on the reattached halves turning in into a corner display unit.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...One of my more recent projects was taking an old wooden door, cutting it in half and putting shelves on the reattached halves turning in into a corner display unit.

That's a great idea!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The door cost me $5.00 but you might be able to find one out with the garbage if you are not in a hurry

Luckily, I've got several old doors that accumulated over the years from when I worked with my father. Here's a headboard that I made from one for my son.

headboard.jpg

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes That is very nice and gives it a personal touch .Often it can be inexpensive but it is a one of a kind item that has a classy look . By the way I did not mean to hijack your thread Sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread