McCormick Poison...

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Niffty little poison bottle found recently. Not worth much, but traingle shape makes it a keeper for me...
84331686_544257872858083_1272808369849106432_n.jpg

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Why are you calling it a poison?

No particular reason - seen this blue bee bottle called medicine and poison in different places- not sure what it actually had in it...
Tell us if you know?

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm unaware of McCormick making a poison, my guess would be something else, what that would be I don't know...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
No particular reason - seen this blue bee bottle called medicine and poison in different places- not sure what it actually had in it...
Tell us if you know?
OK 1more, looks like you are correct based on what I just found on ABN....

"The KT-14 is the well-known and popular McCormick & Company Bee Brand Bottle, a cobalt bottle embossed with a bee that exists in both cork-top and screw-top versions. There also are two different embossings, one with a 'Patent Applied For' and the other with a 'Patented July 8th 1902' which reflects the approximate age of the bottle. A turn-of-the-century magazine advertisement for the KT-14 shows a cork-topped bottle and reveals that the product being sold was laudanum (a solution of opium in alcohol). The ad notes that the bottle's cobalt color and triangular shape eliminates all danger of getting hold of the wrong bottle. Again, the goal was to warn of danger by bottle color and shape, not by difficult-to-open tops." From Poison Land by Mike Dickman.

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Good research epackage - Laudanum (opium) was dang close to poison... Reckon modern McCormicks blends are free of opium since they are regular shaped...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread