High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking on line and saw this H.L.Pettit canning jar. It has an unusual closer. Now I have to get back to the old barn permission and find it.

HL pettit.jpg

Hoping to find an expert to tell me if this is a brand or the jar maker?
Anyway, it looks similar to a Lightning jar. I went to the garage and looked through a box of Lighting jars. Some lightnings are embossed on the side and some are not, but they all are embossed on the bottom PUTNAM.

Then I found this one.
new jar2.JPG new jar1.JPG

If this is a brand, then that makes 12 that I have.
Double Safety
Atlas
Ball
Mason
Telephone
Leotric
Lightning
Royal
Lustre
Clarks
Queen
H.L.Pettit
and I have many more to look for.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Pettit was the jar maker, the jar turned that color due to UV exposure by the sun, we call it sun colored amethyst in the hobby. Some "nefarious" sellers "nuke" them in industrial food sterilizers or UV light boxes to get them to turn purple, which is often easily distinguished from the naturally turned bottles like yours because they turn a dark purple. Nuking is the common term for those in the hobby and true collectors frown upon it. Good thing is "nuked bottles" can be reversed in a kiln and returned to their natural color, manganese used to make the glass clear will turn a bottle purple, selenium will turn it a straw to dark amber color...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread