Digging in my 1860s barn permission
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By No gold in NY
  • 3 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By No gold in NY
  • 1 Post By A2coins
  • 1 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By No gold in NY
  • 1 Post By Tdog

Thread: Digging in my 1860s barn permission

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2054 times
    prospecting, metal detecting

Digging in my 1860's barn permission

I saw on Ebay this 1/2 pint Atlas jar for $18 and they called it rare. I know I saw some in that barn last Summer and dismissed them. It was warm yesterday, so I went there and found these two. Pint and Half pint. You wouldn't believe the stuff up in that barn loft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-5.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	1805407

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was talking to a remodeling contractor over the weekend . He told a job they did some years ago involved tearing out an old floor of an old farmhouses The exsisting floor was fastened to rough cut 4x4 He told me there was about 18 inches of space from the ground to the 4x4's He said that most of that space was filled with old bottles and other stuff that was put in to act as insulation or else it was just put there to get rid of it .In those times after the landowner had his house built the next building that was put up was the barn .His horses and cattle an other animals where his most important possessions .The food they provided kept his family alive .So the barn was a place to put hings until he was able to put up more buildings Get your flashlight and gloves and start cleaning out .Be careful though. In my local area about 3 weeks ago a mid 40's year old man was working in an old barn and fell though some rotted boards and died from his injuries

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2054 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glass half fool View Post
    I was talking to a remodeling contractor over the weekend . He told a job they did some years ago involved tearing out an old floor of an old farmhouses The exsisting floor was fastened to rough cut 4x4 He told me there was about 18 inches of space from the ground to the 4x4's He said that most of that space was filled with old bottles and other stuff that was put in to act as insulation or else it was just put there to get rid of it .In those times after the landowner had his house built the next building that was put up was the barn .His horses and cattle an other animals where his most important possessions .The food they provided kept his family alive .So the barn was a place to put hings until he was able to put up more buildings Get your flashlight and gloves and start cleaning out .Be careful though. In my local area about 3 weeks ago a mid 40's year old man was working in an old barn and fell though some rotted boards and died from his injuries
    Thanks for that information. One thing I have been wanting to do is belly crawl under the raised portions of the house and barn. No telling what could have been left there during construction.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    38104 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Cool finds and story bet those old places had lots of storage and hiding spaces
    No gold in NY likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    No gold if you are old like me I would get a strong flashlight and use it to see if you can see something worth getting a closer look. Or maybe if you see something, lift up a board of two above where you where you see anything you might want to check out .Also all kinds of critters make their home under those same floors .
    No gold in NY likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    A2 During the Battle of Gettysburg some Confederate troops came through the area where I now live .The claim is that the local people hid their horses and other animals in the basement of houses so they would not be taken by the soldiers that where in need of food . Most likely if the locals had any thing of value they hid those things also. I would be willing to guess that many old houses today have things that where hidden in some place that only the owner was aware of .And many of those hidden items remain there long after the person that hid it has moved on.
    civilman1 likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    2054 times
    Glass- I am old and somewhat wise. I have a very strong flashlight. There are residents in that barn. The loft is loaded with raccoon poop.
    Here is a pic of some of them last Summer. I think they are looking over that Ball jar on the ground.

Name:	Baby Racoons.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	1805506

Name:	Bigger vultures.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	1805509 Baby vultures are on the second floor of the house.
    Last edited by No gold in NY; Feb 26, 2020 at 04:56 PM.
    epackage likes this.

us
    Jul 2017
    White 5900DiPro
    1057 times
    No gold In all seriousness .Raccoons carry rabies ,parvo distemper and a type of parasitic worms that can case vision problems .So besides the gloves if you are in places that have a build up of feces perhaps a mask would be a good idea also

us
    Banjo Man

May 2019
    East Central Alabama
    1629 times
    Relic Hunting
    Y'all have Brown Recluses there? Something else to think about!
    sandchip likes this.

Savant Banjo Picker

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links