Any old Jug experts out there?

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in my never ending search for old bottle dumps I came across a rusted out old bucket in the woods. These woods were farmland way back in the day. The bucket was mostly buried and barely sticking up through the leaves and dirt. This is usually how I discover old dumpsites. The bucket fell apart while trying to get it out of the ground and I start digging under it, didn't have any tools with me so I'm digging with a stick. Out comes this cool old stoneware jug all in one piece! Usually when I find old jugs they are broken. Anyway this one had a cover over it that was mostly rotted away, looked like tin. Under that was a smaller cover that fit into the opening. I'm thinking that's tin too. I'm imagining since it's not broken and it's sealed up it must be full of old gold coins or some other treasure! hahahaa Turns out it was empty but hey you just never know, it happens! After getting it home and cleaning it up the inside looks new since it was sealed but the outside seems to have lost it's shiny glaze except the top where the cover was preserving it. This is only the second jug I have ever found intact and I'm pumped! It isn't shaped like any jug I've seen though. Any jug experts out there that could give me an approximate age and use or what type of jug it is? Total height is 10" tall Diameter is 7" and the opening on the neck is about 3-1/4". Guessing it's not a whiskey jug with an opening like that! Haha. Unfortunately I don't see any markings on it. I will be going back to that spot to dig around the area for sure. This is pretty unusual to be able to dig anything here in New England in February and I'm sure not complaining about that! It cleaned up pretty good using soap, water and vinegar, also some mild acid for the rust. Thanks in advance for anything someone could tell me about it. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Jug1.jpg
    Jug1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • Jug2.jpg
    Jug2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • Jug3.jpg
    Jug3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • Jug 4.jpg
    Jug 4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Jug5.jpg
    Jug5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had one for years in my shop that's very similar to yours. Found it under my daddy's shop, but there's no telling where he got it. I'll take a better look at it and a few pictures tomorrow. I always thought it was some kind of fruit jar.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sandchip, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm that's interesting. Those top covers are similar and it is a one gallon jug. I'll do some googling on those. Thanks for the info.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that exact same jug myself. I think I bought it years ago at a flea market for just a few bucks. I keep coins in it now.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what time period it's from and what it was used for? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple online that are very similar but not exact. One looks like it has the same cover as this one but the only description they have is vintage. Also see them advertised as glazed inside but not outside. I was thinking this glaze had worn off from being underground but now thinking it was only glazed inside though the neck is glazed outside for about an inch. I thought maybe the cover was protecting the 1" of glazing but now thinking it was done that way purposely. Part of the fun of finding old bottles and artifacts for me is researching them. Wish I enjoyed history back in school as much as I do now!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine. Pretty similar with the exception of the groove beneath the lip, which appears to have the deteriorated remains of a white rubber O-ring or gasket. Measures 9 3/8 h x 7 d with a mouth opening of 3 1/8. A lot larger than the thermos in the link, unless a larger size was also made.

pottery jar.jpg pottery jar2.jpg

pottery jar1.jpg pottery jar3.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting it sandchip, pretty similar for sure.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaRebel could you post a pic? I'd love to see it. Thanks.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice jug I've found 1 bottle dump so far
That's a cool piece keep em coming I'm sure theres lots of cool stuff in there

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back and dug around the area. Only found two intact mason jars a few broken bottles and some rusted metal junk. Looks like the jug was the star of this spot. Lots of old cart paths crossing through the area that mostly cant be seen because they're so overgrown. I guess the farmers would sometimes randomly throw stuff to the side of the paths rather than put it all in a dump area. I have found a few good dump areas though and still looking for more!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's mine. Pretty similar with the exception of the groove beneath the lip, which appears to have the deteriorated remains of a white rubber O-ring or gasket. Measures 9 3/8 h x 7 d with a mouth opening of 3 1/8. A lot larger than the thermos in the link, unless a larger size was also made.

View attachment 1805896 View attachment 1805897

View attachment 1805898 View attachment 1805899

Also a water jug liner IMHO, the outside metal part would have rusted away, which is why only the insides of these are glazed....

#Blum11111111111111111111111aaaaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread