Dutch Gin Bottles

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some assistance on dating please. These are Dutch ā€˜case-ginā€™ bottles of the kind I believe are sometimes known as ā€˜coffin bottlesā€™.

The first is from van Marken. One source says this company only diversified to alcohol production from 1869 onwards. Another source says that (Jacob Cornelius) van Marken married that year and because his sister in law was married to a reformer who supported the temperance movement he pulled out of gin production the following year. If correct (?) that would mean the bottle could only date to 1869/70. Does the mould mark enable anything more to be said?

Bottle 1a.JPG Bottle 1b.JPG Bottle 1c.JPG

The second has numerous variations found on the web with various claimed datings, but as I understand it van Hoytema operated between 1861-1928, or at least only produced its own glass between those dates. Itā€™s unclear whether those are dates for their gin production or only for their glass production. Again does the mould mark enable anything more to be said about the dating? Note also the curious swirl marks around the neck at the top of the shoulder. Does any bottle expert know what causes these or if they have a particular terminology name?

Bottle 2a.JPG Bottle 2b.JPG Bottle 2c.JPG

Last edited:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I would think the swirls upwards toward the neck are made when the glass was blown. Pulled upward toward the neck. If more than one bottle has those same whirls then it would be the mold itself. As for dating. Iā€™m sure that you are on the right track with mid 18th century. Very cool bottles for sure. Love that crude embossing. Jgas

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
With those style lips I'd say 1880ish is a good estimate on the dates, I'd expect earlier ones to pig nose lips, nice pair....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions