New Paterson N.J. stoneware beer bottle...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Was lucky enough to be the winning bidder on the William Bowden stoneware bottle in the center of this trio. Funny thing is I put a bid in on it the second it popped up on Ebay a week ago to let the other Paterson collectors I would be a bidder on it, and I expected to sit and watch it and add to my bid as it ended last night. So when I woke up this morning I didn't expect to be the winning bidder, but much to my surprise I was the winning bidder and the only bidder. It make for a nice trio of pig nose style bottles from Bowden to go along with my two straight sided lip variants.

Bowden started in Paterson with a saloon at 75 Market St. from at least 1861 until 1882, in 1868-69 he is listed at 71 Congress St., it is not known if this was just his residence or another business location at the time. He was at 47-49 Godwin St. selling mineral water from 1876-77[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], [/FONT]He was famous for his Cherry Beer, which came in Blood Red quart glass bottles as well as stoneware....

# 1a.jpg
# 1aa.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was meant to be yours. Wants to be with its Family I love your Collection thats just awesome and still growing.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet a blood red quart bottle would be pretty! Have you seen one???

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trio indeed to go with two straight sided lip variants . I would say they look very very very very very (5) nice together I would do a back flip just to have one of them!!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and thanks for including some background on the maker. Always fun to learn the history behind the finds.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good grab. Everybody knew not to mess with Jim! That trio looks great with the variety of colors.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's AWESOME Jim! Dad had one he called a Ruby red. Is it gold that makes the red color? I think that's what my Dad said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread