Colorado crown cap found in the mountains above Manitou Springs ID help.

Jun 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a private community called Crystal Park which is above Manitou Springs and found this bottle buried in the ground. Curious if anyone knows about this exact bottle. On the back of the bottle, it says This bottle never sold. treasure-1.JPG

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one a long time ago, I forget what it sold for. I'm guessing around 100. There are quite a few varieties but yours is my favorite. If you Google it a lot of very interesting history comes up about the spring. VP has a great link! They are quite rare and I haven't seen one on eBay in a while. With the "this bottle never sold" the bottling companies were worried about other companies filling their bottles. You live in a great area, do you have access to the Crystal hunting up there? My boys and I have always wanted to get up there!! It is a great bottle, Manitou bottles are pretty collectable. You could probably sell it down in Manitou for quite a bit, but it sure would look nice in the window. Let me know if you find more and want to get rid of them:)

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking bottle. Love the embossing.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That’s a keeper for sure. Love that embossing. Nice and crisp clean. Congrats. Jgas.

OP
OP
C
Jun 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am 17 and live up in Crystal Park, I mainly dig for minerals, I would have to ask my parents, but we could maybe do a hike up there.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am 17 and live up in Crystal Park, I mainly dig for minerals, I would have to ask my parents, but we could maybe do a hike up there.
My son's are 16 and 12, we are very friendly and would enjoy that immensely if it were to work out. I'll send you a message with my contact number. I hope you run into more bottles!! I bet you have some nice Smoky quartz!!

OP
OP
C
Jun 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son's are 16 and 12, we are very friendly and would enjoy that immensely if it were to work out. I'll send you a message with my contact number. I hope you run into more bottles!! I bet you have some nice Smoky quartz!!

I know the exact location, which is about 3 miles away, where one of the largest topaz was found a few years ago. I also have several spots to go to find amazonite and smoky crystal formations. All are found in the National forest.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !!!!! You have the rarer variant , your bottle dates 1907 - 1909 . There are more Ute chief bottles out there than some think, but you have a good one ! Back around the turn of the century the plant had a problem sanitizing the bottles and destroyed all that they could get their hands on . I found the spot where they dumped all the broken ones , it is a 4 to 5 foot layer of broken glass that ,if you dig into it , there are whole ones to be found . I dug an unlisted Ute chief seltzer there , plus many others . While digging down into this layer of broken glass I found that it covered an older dump which gave up a Fox and a Cook both pharmacy bottles from Manitou and even a couple Denver whiskey flasks , sadly this dump is now behind a Fence and inaccessible. Welcome to TN , HH

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net C.T.T. ! Keep the questions and sharp photos coming.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked, and apparently my photo didn't post.
I'll try again.
Carl Manitou Springs Bottle.JPG
This is from the Colorado Historical Bottles

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl , you must have the old book . His bottle is the Ute Chief Mineral water co , not the bottling co variant , here is the correct pic from the newer book . Carl , how are u doing down there ?? find any shipwreck bottles yet ?

Attachments

• DSCF1508.JPG
    DSCF1508.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 42

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl , you must have the old book . His bottle is the Ute Chief Mineral water co , not the bottling co variant , here is the correct pic from the newer book . Carl , how are u doing down there ?? find any shipwreck bottles yet ?

Didn't know there is a newer book, need to get one.
Florida is okay, yet to find anywhere to dig bottles.
Detecting mainly 1950-60's coin drops.
They have a term I'm not familiar with when pertaining to weather conditions.
Oppressive.
As in 8:00 am, 87 degrees, 85% humidity.
Oppressive.
Great to hear from you, and apologies for a short site hijack!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl , the newer , 2nd , book came out in the early 80s. Stay healthy ! Keep the humidity out there :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread