Other
My grandpa was drinking alcohol !!!!

View attachment 1870940

"Federal Laws Forbids Sale Or Re-use Of This Bottle"

On the bottom:

D126
12 ("A" in a circle) 48
Made in USA
Pat'd 95484 (may not have this right = very difficult to make out)

MY GRANDFATHER WAS DRINKING BOOZE!!!! I never saw him take a drink.....

One of the sites I use to help identify bottles is www.glassbottlemarks.com. Here is what it says about the "A" in a circle:

A in a circle………Armstrong Cork Company (Glass Division), Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Millville, New Jersey [former Whitall Tatum Co. plant] ; Dunkirk, Indiana [former Hart Glass Mnfg Co. plant]. Mark was used from 1938-1969 on bottles and insulators. If there is a line underneath the “circled A”, this indicates the bottle was produced at the Dunkirk plant.

So that helps to date the bottle. Again, I am just learning, so I would appreciate it if I could get confirmation from someone.

Another great site for researching is the Society for Historical Archaeology. Here is a link from them about the Armstrong Cork Company

https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/ArmstrongCork.pdf

There is so much more you can get from those numbers and letters, but my brain is not working this morning.

What does the embossing say on that bottle? I can't make it out.

EDIT: Oh, yea, here it is! Also information from glassbottlemarks.com

[h=1]“Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this Bottle” Marking[/h] The “Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of this Bottle” phrase was required on all liquor bottles sold within the United States that were made between 1935 and 1964. However, some bottles that date up to the early 1970s have also been seen with this warning embossed on them.
Since hundreds or thousands of bottle molds would have been in active use circa 1964 when the phrase requirement was phased out, it would have been highly expensive, time-consuming and basically pointless to re-tool all the molds to “erase” the warning, thus it is certain that some bottles continued to carry the phrase for some time after 1964.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandfather worked in the shipyards of Norfolk / Newport News during WW2, he was a WW1 naval veteran. After shipyards construction leveled off following the war, they moved to my grandmother's property here where I found the bottle. Leads me to think that listing 12 ("A" in a circle) 48 seemingly indicates the bottle was manufactured in December 1948 ????

My grandmother's family were original white settlers here. When I was a child, they were living in a small one room log cabin, and the previous log cabin was erected circa 1803 was still standing.

Farm before my house built.jpg

Picture taken about the late 1930's of the large log home - Granny sold the logs off it in the 70's. I bought the farm from my grandmother in 1980, and until she passed she thought I was going to evict her :)

Didn't happen :)

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be looking for the original cabin site from 1803....along with its outhouse and dumping site. Thats where the oldest treasures will be found. Maybe grandma buried some milk money somewhere......strong possibility that your kin folk might have buried some money....if grandma had a hard time trusting you then she probably didn't trust banks at all. Very interesting history deepseeker....thank you for sharing some of your personal stories with us.....wishing you continued adventures and success !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good information and advice, Bart.

Deep, outhouses were 50-150 ft from the house , faced away and some had 2 chambers: 1 for adults and one for children. If there was an outhouse. Why do I say”if?” I was told that some places way out in the country/ woods did not bother with an outhouse.

Do you remember where structures were?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good information and advice, Bart.
Deep, outhouses were 50-150 ft from the house , faced away and some had 2 chambers: 1 for adults and one for children. If there was an outhouse. Why do I say”if?” I was told that some places way out in the country/ woods did not bother with an outhouse.
Do you remember where structures were?

The rock chimney to the 1803 house is still standing, and home to the most awesome growth of poison ivy a person could ever expect to encounter. I just woke up, and when I'm alive again and it's warmer outside I'll take a picture of the chimney and post it on here :) That poison ivy is darned near a "tree"!

Me at age 2, with the logs of the 1803 house in the background.

Roger at 2.jpg

The chimney you can't see underneath the poison ivy above the satellite dish...

house1.jpg

Me at age 3 with the log house & chimney behind me.

1953 Our old house.JPG

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! Wish it was still standing. I always wanted an early log cabin like that. Doubt i could get the wife to live in it with me though!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't remember where the older outhouse was. My driveway continued way up behind my property towards the people who had homes further up the North Slope of Bull Mountain. It was World War I that probably brought the people out of there, and now it's all timber company land. I've still not made it past my land to find anything. But, snake season will be ending soon :) I do have a concern with snakes since I was bitten by a copperhead when I was in my pre-teens. I also need to make a habit of carrying a camera with me in my explorations.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went up in the woods above where the log house was and it kinda looks like I found a forgotten grave site. Maybe it was for pets. There's rocks standing for smaller graves = maybe pets.....

This rock is "free standing"....

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

And some pictures of the chimney.

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1706.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good on you. You may have started him down a great path to discover some history.

Funny you should say that :)

I went down to his house a couple days ago. Apparently he's been hitting other locations - hasn't been back to mine. Right now I've accumulated 36 bottles. He had double that!!! And some really sweet ones!

Edit:

Here's a good bottle collecting website:

https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been raining here, but it's not raining now. I put on my work boots and started walking up the hill to the dumps, and suddenly my toes on my right foot pooped through the sole of the boot. Good Lord, can't a person get more out of a good pair of boots than 20 years?

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

I did eyeball this last time I went up. Some kind of tool, shows signs of being hand forged.

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I put on my work boots and started walking up the hill to the dumps, and suddenly my toes on my right foot pooped through the sole of the boot.

They pooped through, huh? That’s funny!

You are finding some cool stuff. I wonder what that last thing is?

Nice pics. You were a little cutie.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They pooped through, huh? That’s funny!
You are finding some cool stuff. I wonder what that last thing is?
Nice pics. You were a little cutie.

Must have been a prelude! It wasn't much after I sent that, I did have to go downstairs and "wash my hands".

In the larger pile in the largest dump site - I haven't dug into that larger pile.

At first I thought the item you mentioned was an old automobile crank handle. I'm not sure now, maybe time will tell :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, just roaming around on my property, and found another neat thing :)

My maternal grandfather worked the shipyards in Norfolk / Newport News during WWII - he was a WWI naval veteran.

These "glasses" must have been his:

Safety Glasses WWII.JPG

Edit: I just gave the glasses to Mom, some history from her Dad. Her eyes lit up :)

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real treasure is the fact that your exploring your families history, and that your enjoying the adventures so much. Good for you deepseekerADS !! I'll be following along as long as your sharing buddy.....good luck on the mountain top !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, just roaming around on my property, and found another neat thing :)

My maternal grandfather worked the shipyards in Norfolk / Newport News during WWII - he was a WWI naval veteran.

These "glasses" must have been his:

View attachment 1874922

Edit: I just gave the glasses to Mom, some history from her Dad. Her eyes lit up :)

I went back to your genealogy thread, realized I forgot to give you a like way back then. Sorry. I am glad you are sharing with your mom.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to your genealogy thread, realized I forgot to give you a like way back then. Sorry. I am glad you are sharing with your mom.

There's no need to apologize for missing a "Like". It appears that we have similar worlds. But you're closer to your civilization while I just hide way up a holler :)

My ancestors were the original settlers of my land, and I bought the property from my grandmother in 1980. She lived here till she passed and then Mom (94 now) moved up here. I traveled in the construction industry until retirement, then I moved HOME :)

With a kilometer long driveway up the holler there's no road noise, twice a year I may get "company", and this is the place to be when the world ends :)

Following over 40 years of big city living I am home - and happy. And I find delights everywhere, the simple things - not a critter killer and our house is supervised by 3 cats :)

Stay safe out there!

Roger

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went down to my neighbor's house yesterday - OMG that young fellow has been hitting some dumps! Good Lord the bottles he's found. Next time I go down I'm taking my camera. I had no idea he'd hit absolute GOLD in bottles - turn of the last century. His gallon Clorox bottle (jug) - Yeah I'm a neophyte, that jug is beautiful - I bet it's worth over a hundred bucks. And I told him that! It has been pouring rain all morning, so the water is over my bridge again. My work boots are over 30 years old now - at least the soles protect me from sharp rocks! But keep the water out now? Even sandals would be better. And Mom gave me one of her old hearing aids - am I that deaf now?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm showered and now clean shaven - lost some blood on that adventure....

I'm heading down to my neighbor's house to get some pictures of his finds. I'd pointed him to this forum, but he doesn't live on computers like I do :(

That is if I can get across my flooded bridge as of yesterday. I'll get some pictures of that too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread